Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest in e30s54 1-piece carbon Driveshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in e30s54 1-piece carbon Driveshaft?

There is a group buy for e46 M3 carbon driveshafts right now on M3forums. It was brought up that an e30 S54 swap specific carbon driveshaft could also potentially be made. This would be built for an s54 with e46 M3 6speed in an e30 chassis to bolt up to the stock e30 diff.

Just trying to feel out interest at a price point around $1650.

Also can someone double check my measurements from transmission flange to diff flange.
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

No one?
    e30sport.net

Comment

I am doing this exact swap. I paid $125 for an E36 M3 US Auto driveshaft that bolts up perfectly. Gonna take a very special customer to buy something like this and you're not gonna move big numbers.

Comment

Not for an S54 swap, but I am running a one piece in my race car.
        I swapped to a Tremec T5 race trans and at that time did a one piece shaft. My friend Brendan and I did the project in sync on 2 cars at the same time.
        I went with thin walled steel, he went all fancy and did CF.

The place he used for his CF DS was Dynotech:

I think he was generally happy with the product. No need to do a GB, I think there may be too many variables to ever get one off the ground. Thats a pretty one off piece.

Just call them, they will get you started with providing the info they need to build you a shaft.

The downside with putting a one piece DS in an E30 is getting your (our) driveline angles right. It was a bit of a PITA and cost me more than a few track days as I chased vibrations at various places in the speed / RPM spectrum.
        Myself and then my buddy Ian from Ian's Speed shop did a lot of shimming to get rid of all the vibrations. Ian is a master at it from all the experience with Hot Rods, he really helped me get rid of it.

Now its much better but it took a bit of work to get there.
        Last edited by JimmyP; 12-14-2018, 03:38 PM.
        Jimmy P.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
        98 318Ti Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Running the GS-37 in mine...which would need to be a bit shorter.

Comment

The group buy for the e46 shafts is from jFiber and it would essentially be a e46 guibo and mount at one end and a u-joint at the other with a shorter shaft than the e46. Did you shaft have u-joints at each end? I can see that causing a lot of vibration if not aligned properly. Maybe the one with a guibo at the other end would vibrate too. Not sure but alignment would be to point the trans output at the diff input.

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
            Not for an S54 swap, but I am running a one piece in my race car.
            I swapped to a Tremec T5 race trans and at that time did a one piece shaft. My friend Brendan and I did the project in sync on 2 cars at the same time.
            I went with thin walled steel, he went all fancy and did CF.

The place he used for his CF DS was Dynotech:

I think he was generally happy with the product. No need to do a GB, I think there may be too many variables to ever get one off the ground. Thats a pretty one off piece.

Just call them, they will get you started with providing the info they need to build you a shaft.

The downside with putting a one piece DS in an E30 is getting your (our) driveline angles right. It was a bit of a PITA and cost me more than a few track days as I chased vibrations at various places in the speed / RPM spectrum.
            Myself and then my buddy Ian from Ian's Speed shop did a lot of shimming to get rid of all the vibrations. Ian is a master at it from all the experience with Hot Rods, he really helped me get rid of it.

Now its much better but it took a bit of work to get there.
            e30sport.net

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
              Not sure but alignment would be to point the trans output at the diff input.
              Nope that is not the route to go.
              Seems like it would be on the surface but matching opposing angles are the key.
              You dont want them in a straight line.
              You need to align so that the output shaft and diff input have say a (example) +2.5° and a -2.5° offset to quell the vibrations if you are using 2 U Joints.
              Straight lines in a solid shaft with (2) U Joints vibrate heavily.

Since the T5 is a splined slip yoke, my setup has U joints at each end.
              Jimmy P.
              98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

I don't think you'll get many takers on this. The reduction in rotational inertia on this things minuscule compared to something like a flywheel. It's not like the stock shaft is very heavy at all. There are much better ways to spend your money.

Jimmy, do you really own a BTCC car? I'd love to see a thread with some details on that!

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
                  I don't think you'll get many takers on this. The reduction in rotational inertia on this things minuscule compared to something like a flywheel. It's not like the stock shaft is very heavy at all. There are much better ways to spend your money.
                  I kind of agree with this. Its a largely unnecessary type project.
                  I did a solid shaft because I needed one with a slip yoke.

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
                  Jimmy, do you really own a BTCC car? I'd love to see a thread with some details on that!
                  Yes, I've had it for a long time, going on 20 years I think.
                  I did a thread on it when I first finished putting it back together on S14.net.
                  Its a neat piece of history. I wish I drove it more, the other race car gets much more attention LOL. I'll try to find a limk and PM it to you.
                  Jimmy P.
                  98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

The pricing seems pretty outrageous too. I know this was 10 years ago now, but I had ACPT in Ca make me a custom 84" long 4" diameter CF driveshaft for a RWD Honda Civic Wagon that I built. They supplied the shaft with 2 u-joints, a slip yoke and 2 custom machined flange adapters with shipping for $1K all in.

Methinks someone's making some good coin off this.

Last edited by Jaker; 12-27-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X