3RD brake light wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3RD brake light wiring question

So I pulled my cabrio 3rd brake light today and am a little confused on the wiring. There are four wires. So I am looking at my Bently and not getting too far. The green/red comes directly off the switch. One of the green/black comes from the active check control unit, which I am guessing is related to the check panel. The other green/black goes to the rear light check relay. The brown is shown ending with three lines of decreasing size under it. If I remember right it signifies a ground and I am guessing grounds the little circuit board that all the wires run through.

So a couple of questions. I pulled the brake light and snipped the wires. I am going to use a Zender spoiler with a 3rd brake light that only has two wires. Do I need to pull the circuit board out of the oem light and use it? Or if I just use two wires (I assume it is the green/red and the green/black going to the rear light check relay) will it cause any issues with the auto check system?

I am not putting the spoiler on until next weekend and I need to get the brakelights working again. Is crossing the green/red and the green/black the right thing to do to get them working temporarily?

I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything on the wiring, hopefully not because it a total noob question. Anyway, thanks for any advice.

Ok, so I am glad I checked first. Green/red and brown get the light working and connecting the two green/black bypass the check system for the 3rd light.

BTW, cabrio owners, you might want to pull your trunk lid 3rd brake light and inspect it. I had some serious rust going on an otherwise rust free car.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the info. My Cabrio has an is trunk lid, so the light has been on the check panel for a while. I'll try jumping those two wires, then only one check light to go!
      sigpic

Comment

yes

It worked for me. I bought a zender with a 3rd light from elguapo84 and am doing away with my oem. Because it is LED it is not monitorible. I couldn't believe the rust under there. There was no eveidence in the trunk or outside.

Comment

Good stuff. Guys with rusty lids, you have the early or late style third brake light?
          -Dave
          2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
            Good stuff.
            I agree us Cab guys gotta stick together. The way I look at my car is yeah its cool. and "Hey by the way, the top goes down"...then it becomes way cool......Chicks love it...Cabs FTMFW!
            sigpic

Comment

So, if you have completely done away with the third brake light, you jump the 2 wires (keeperjones talks of in post #2) & the "brake light" warning bulb on the "check board" will go out??
              [I

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
                So, if you have completely done away with the third brake light, you jump the 2 wires (keeperjones talks of in post #2) & the "brake light" warning bulb on the "check board" will go out??

Yup.
                -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperJones View Post
                  Ok, so I am glad I checked first. Green/red and brown get the light working and connecting the two green/black bypass the check system for the 3rd light.

BTW, cabrio owners, you might want to pull your trunk lid 3rd brake light and inspect it. I had some serious rust going on an otherwise rust free car.
                  You have found a real simple fix - I made a jumper wire to connect the 2 & WALA !! brake warning light on the check panel is OUT.

Any hints on the SRS light staying on when you replace the air bag steering wheel with a non air bag one??

Thanks a 1,000,000 !!

Jack
                  [I

Comment

Glad to hear it helped.

Under the drivers knee bolster, there is an orange box near the ABS computer. It has 4 (IIRC) orange connectors. Unplug them. No more light.
                    -Dave

Comment

the third brake light can also be the source of water getting into your trunk as i found out.

Comment

I am going to revive this thread...

I was troubleshooting my brake check light system.. I will try this soon, but I want it to work LIKE IT SHOULD....

With that being said, I inspected the circuit board within the 3rd brakelight housing. There was some corrosion, so i cleaned it off and the check light doesn't go out... I may give up and simply connect the wires, but I figure that I would give it a good college shot..

How would one test this? What is the proper resistance of the bulb that one should use?
                        Recent Rebranding!!
                        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                        E30 SM62/S62
                        E30 M60 V8
                        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                        Instagram.com/garageaholic
                        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Any chance some have some pics of the wiring done? Got a IS trunk painting right now to swap on my vert. :up:

Comment

So I jumped the wire OP said. But I was wondering does your guys check brake light still stay on, until you hit the brakes and it goes away?

Comment

Originally posted by Kwaaahhh View Post
                              So I jumped the wire OP said. But I was wondering does your guys check brake light still stay on, until you hit the brakes and it goes away?
                              yes, once you step on the brake the system knows if the brake lights work or not.

Hence the "Check" blinking until you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X