No announcement yet.

DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added some info about the intake boot, IAT, and ECU mount.

And the car is running much better now with the MAF in
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
    1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
    1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
    1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Absolutely awesome write-up!!!

I'm doing an OBD2 swap very shortly into my 90 318iS (yes, we got MY1990 in Australia) and am trying to find a way to bypass or trick the EWS.

Unfortunately no one in Australia seems to be able to do this and I really don't want to have to send my Euro ECU all the way to the USA to get deleted when no one can even confirm that they can work on a non-US ECU.

Has anyone figured out a really simple easy way to do this?
      Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_328i View Post
        Absolutely awesome write-up!!!

I'm doing an OBD2 swap very shortly into my 90 318iS (yes, we got MY1990 in Australia) and am trying to find a way to bypass or trick the EWS.

Unfortunately no one in Australia seems to be able to do this and I really don't want to have to send my Euro ECU all the way to the USA to get deleted when no one can even confirm that they can work on a non-US ECU.

Has anyone figured out a really simple easy way to do this?

I'm not familiar with the euro swaps, but I'd imagine if you get all the EWS components from the car you got the engine from (if still possible) you could make it work!
        I'm sure you could also find a cheap way to ship your ECU over here! International USPS flat rate?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
        1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

I've already go the engine, harness and ECU but it doesn't have EWS!

To be honest, it would be just better to delete the EWS and not have to incur the $280 or so expense of getting stuff deleted.

I am being a real tight arse about this but I am Asian!
          Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_328i View Post
            I've already go the engine, harness and ECU but it doesn't have EWS!
            Do you have the key that matches the ECU?
            M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
            Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
            M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Unfortunately not.
              Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Also: Best way to do OBD2 IAT sensor is thread it into the OBD1 sensor port ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I realize you deleted the throttle circuit so you needed the sensor to plug that port, but it screws directly into the port to it's left with no modifications,that's just a plug for the extra hole on the OBD1 heads used on early OBD2 engines. Not all OBD2 motors have that, but what I did on my 99 S52 was get an OBD1 head and have it machined to S52 spec and gain the extra sender hole.
                  Originally posted by 325Projectz
                  don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                  :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                    This is what we did on tttoon's car. Easy to do and worth the extra 10 minutes!
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                      Intake boot and IAT sensor:
                      You'll want the long OBD1 intake boot with 2 holes in the bottom. One for the ICV hose and the other to either plug or mount your OBD2 IAT sensor in.
                      I chose to mount my IAT sensor in the boot, since this is more ideal than rethreading it to mount it in the original OBD1 IAT spot on the intake manifold.
                      To mount the IAT sensor in the hole you'll want to shave off some of the plastic to make it more round like pictured below.
                      Before:

After:

OBD1 intake boot part number: 13541738757
                      If you say the original spot for the IAT sensor is on the intake manifold, and your putting it in a hole in the intake boot, what use to be in that hole in the intake boot originally?
                      Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                        I'm not sure if this is really the BEST way is it? What makes it better than the boot?

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                        I realize you deleted the throttle circuit so you needed the sensor to plug that port, but it screws directly into the port to it's left with no modifications,that's just a plug for the extra hole on the OBD1 heads used on early OBD2 engines. Not all OBD2 motors have that, but what I did on my 99 S52 was get an OBD1 head and have it machined to S52 spec and gain the extra sender hole.
                        Wait, so you're saying on my s52 head that plug has the same threads as the unmodified e30 coolant temp sensor?

interesting

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                        If you say the original spot for the IAT sensor is on the intake manifold, and your putting it in a hole in the intake boot, what use to be in that hole in the intake boot originally?
                        Well since its a boot from an OBD1 car its different and that hole is not needed on OBD2 car.

I'm not sure what that hole is used for on OBD1 cars, I'd have to look at one.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Added electric fan and reverse lights information

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

On my original post I already thanked you but I figured I would do it here as well. HUGE thanks for this, man. As soon as I'm ready to start this project this is going to be a massive help. It seems that pretty much everything is in here. All I need now is some parts and a little bit of time. Thanks again! I'll update the other thread as I do it in case anyone's interested. Stop by Tallahassee for a beer one day!

Comment

This is a great write up! Awesome info!

What do all you OBDII guys do for the diagnostic port?

Comment

I bought something similar to this, works fine and real cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X