Hard Shifting into 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Shifting into 2nd

As it says. Shifting into second isn't actually hard, but it's not smooth and totally makes spirited take-offs less fun, also annoying for general driving purposes.

I'm wondering, do I simply need a new bushing kit or is the old stick slowly taking a shit? Any ways to tell?
    Different strokes for different folks.

If the other gears don't have this problem, the syncro's for 2nd gear are probably worn.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      If the other gears don't have this problem, the syncro's for 2nd gear are probably worn.
      I have the same issue in my M20/G260 E34, only it shifts fine once warm.

Same thing, synchros? No grinding, no other issues, only hard to get into second when cold.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm curious as well, also have hard shifts when cold.
        I have friends who are EOD bro.

That's awesome. I have friends who make coffee for a living, but you don't see me rocking out a bunch of lattes

Comment

Fluid levels in check? I've lost 2nd gear twice over the years because the seals gave up. I imagine sloppy bushings would add to wear on the syncro as well.
          Swanny!
          SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            I have the same issue in my M20/G260 E34, only it shifts fine once warm.

Same thing, synchros? No grinding, no other issues, only hard to get into second when cold.
            What transmission fluid? Redline MTL or a synthetic ATF may help.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

same issue here, going into second cold isn't smooth, but once warmed up its good.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I think I may have a small leak, but I just replaced the fluid a bit ago with fresh synthetic ATF, and it helped smooth everything out, but was not a day and night difference.

I've been figuring it could be the synchros, just hoping it wasn't..

I kinda hoped it was bushings because that seems easier/cheaper than going into the transmission doing work.. The problem is that it feels pretty tight, little to no play except where the stick should be going...

Comment

Wow, this sounds like a pretty common issue. Just changed my fluid and put in Red Line MT-90. Smoothed things out, but the second-gear synchros are still pretty miserable when cold.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

My friend was having some rough shifting on his '66 bug and his mechanic recommended adding some friction-increasing additive (I think that is what it was), and he said it really smoothed his shifting and made a huge increase in performance.

Are there any legitimate additives that may help synchros?

I might just go for new shift bushings and see if that helps, it has worked for some.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                      Wow, this sounds like a pretty common issue. Just changed my fluid and put in Red Line MT-90. Smoothed things out, but the second-gear synchros are still pretty miserable when cold.
                      Now that is not what I wanna hear! Should be more like "yeah, 2nd sucked, but I changed my fluid and the bitches love me now!"

No?

Dammit.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

same here, it helps to shift from a higher engine speed in first

Comment

OP are you running a short shifter?

Comment

seems like a common e30 problem, replacing your tranny oil should help it out a little, i put in a z3 shifter and had to bend the selecter rod and the shifting got shorter but it got worse, sometimes it would feel like its in gear but not all the way so it would pop out of gear before i changed the oil. but ive just gotten used to giving it a little gas when i shift, it makes it alot smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Now that is not what I wanna hear! Should be more like "yeah, 2nd sucked, but I changed my fluid and the bitches love me now!"

No?

Dammit.

Luke
                              :(

Originally posted by Cream View Post
                              but ive just gotten used to giving it a little gas when i shift, it makes it alot smoother.
                              Double clutching would help too, that's what I always do when the car is cold.
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                              X