• Show
Clear All

Are you going to make it to the picnic?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yessir, need to install that O2 sensor, top off some fluids (or check them at least), and I'll be on my way. My girlfriend is from Seattle so visiting her home makes this trip a bit more manageable as well.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

So thanks to 2mAn I was able to locate a longer O2 sensor. Its the 525i e34 version and it was able to reach my O2 bung that I had added in when I was running MS2 and a wideband. That went without a problem. But then I noticed a fuel leak near the fuel filter under the car. A rusty hose clamp was loose. Changed that out. But wait, now a no start. Charge the battery, still had to jump it. Drove around a bit and then the battery got charged by the alternator. I suspect there is a drain somewhere.

All before this, there developed a slight hesitation on throttle input. I was running without an O2 sensor for 2k miles so that's expected. Looked at the plugs, they were ugly but put them back for now. A few miles on the new O2 sensor and the hesitation went away.

IMG-8442 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

IMG-8496 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

IMG-8503 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

And then after all this, my truck had an issue. Super uncomfortable suspension noise. Take a look under and both endlinks had snapped. Nice thing about the truck is that I could work on in while sitting upright under the truck. Bought new ones and got most of the old ones out. There is still a bit of broken rusty thread stuck in the driver side. Should come out with some more banging on it.

Thanks a bunch Maryland for being so salty.

IMG-8501 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

IMG-8502 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

IMG-8517 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Comment

Made it to the e30picnic and back to Montana. Have put 3700 miles on this engine since getting it in mid May. Was able to buy a e28 mtech1 wing that I will spend the winter refurbishing and get it on for next year.

Met up with Art from North Carolina on his way out to the picnic.

Made some friends at a rest stop.

Tried some rollers. Not a good background for getting motion blur at 1/40sec.

Quick break and photo op at a scenic pull out with baby wildfire burning across the gorge behind us.

And the one picnic photo I took of my car.

Comment

Spent some time in Germany recently staring at all the BMWs. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about a cars and coffee type meet at the BMW Classics building. Some amazing cars there.

Anyways, haven't done much with my e30 and its ill-fitting euro bumpers. Changed some spark plugs, got a new battery, filled the trunk with random junk. Almost time to park it for the winter, hoping to make it until November 1st before I do. Winter projects are to refurb my e28 Mtech1 spoiler and hopefully source either a front valance or suspension refresh, who knows which one I'll spend my money on.

Comment

Too early to park it. You still have H2O coming up at the end of the month
              1992 325i Convertible - "project"
              1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
                Too early to park it. You still have H2O coming up at the end of the month
                Ahh, I'm in Montana now for graduate school. Just never switched my plates from Maryland. The mountains in my area have already had two days of light snow.

Comment

ohhh I see
                  1992 325i Convertible - "project"
                  1994 325is - Daily

Comment

I know it wasn't a coupe but why sell the late model and keep the early??
                    1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                      I know it wasn't a coupe but why sell the late model and keep the early??
                      I prefer early model e30s :early:

It being 4door was also a reason to sell it and it had some unknown issues with the engine which is how I got it from my neighbor in the first place. Also it was automatic. The only thing that it had going for it, was the nice paint.

Comment

Fall came and left. Leaves didn't last long as a foot of snow came and wiped them out. Nice temps again so Ive been enjoying driving around while it last. Only change has been an oil change, yay go me maintenance. Also a little tear down of my old engine has started. No glaring damage has been found in the 5 minute examination my dad did on the engine.

Comment

Nice build !! I have read your thread a few times now. I finally just am getting my 86 Lachssilber since title is coming in so ill be starting my project finally.

look forward to the updates
                          PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                            Also a little tear down of my old engine has started. No glaring damage has been found in the 5 minute examination my dad did on the engine.

You didnt have too many miles on the 2.9, right? Seems like a little more carbon buildup than I wouldve expected. Does it look worse than it actually is?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Mpolito3355 View Post
                              Nice build !! I have read your thread a few times now. I finally just am getting my 86 Lachssilber since title is coming in so ill be starting my project finally.

look forward to the updates
                              Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for your thread.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              You didnt have too many miles on the 2.9, right? Seems like a little more carbon buildup than I wouldve expected. Does it look worse than it actually is?
                              I think it was around 22-23k miles. The tune was never great so that could have added to it. I didn't break this down, my dad did. But he said it wasn't too bad in person. I also asked about the carbon lol.

Comment

Well well well. I just hit 5 years of ownership last week. The car is back on bottlecaps and parked for winter. Trying to stock up on some parts to change once it's warm again. I really think I need to replace the fuel lines and vapor systems. Just a bit of gas smell that I am not super comfortable with. Autocross will definitely happen next year and if I can time it right, maybe a track day.

Always looking for a new front valance option (Zender?) ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X