Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 Button On Board Computer SCREEN repair ideas?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So did anyone successfully order one of these and get it shipped to the US? Because I am so ordering one.

UPDATE: Got one, took a couple weeks for delivery but it's installed and working great in my 6-button OBC

Last edited by muppetman342; 07-09-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Does this fit the 6 button obc as well?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jjc034 View Post
        Does this fit the 6 button obc as well?

There's a 6-button version on that site.

Comment

Originally posted by muppetman342 View Post
          There's a 6-button version on that site.
          Thank you sir

Comment

Just ordered a 6 Button from them awaiting for the part to arrive.

jjc034 - did you install yours? all good?

Comment

Originally posted by E30DPG View Post
              Just ordered a 6 Button from them awaiting for the part to arrive.

jjc034 - did you install yours? all good?

For what it's worth, I just ordered one for my 6 button MFC too. FYI, this redditor posted his experience replacing the LCD in his 13 Button OBC, and included the guide that apparently comes with the parts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/E30/comments/9hjdlv/obc_lcd_replacement_diy/

Comment

I keep forgetting there is reddit e30. Cool stuff. Last I checked it was nothing but "I ordered from Luke, where did my money go?"
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Update, if anyone is curious. The replacement LCD kit from Partworks came and I was able to install it after a little trial and error. The contact surfaces need to be clean and lint/dust free. Most importantly, the "zebra rubber" strip needs to be perfectly seated. This video helped me :
                  Removal, disassembly, lcd replacement and reassembly of a 6 button On Board Computer in a BMW e30.

Here are the instructions provided by Partworks

Here's a couple shots of it working

(Yay...a clock!)

It's really satisfying to finally have this working with all the other little lights I've replaced recently. Unfortunately, they really highlight how the backlight on my headunit (Continental TR7412UB-OR) doesn't match at all. But it's a spot on match for that rear defroster switch.

Comment

Very cool! It is amazing that there is a source for such obscure parts still. I am going to order up a spare for if/when my OBC screen poops out. The site says that the 13-button screen is "not suitable for the US variant"...did the German one differ somehow?
                    Last edited by bmwman91; 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

It definitely beats scrounging for a working 6 button OBC. I've seen some posted on eBay in the $200 range. Ridiculous, when you consider it's pretty much just a damn clock.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                        Very cool! It is amazing that there is a source for such obscure parts still. I am going to order up a spare for if/when my OBC screen poops out. The site says that the 13-button screen is "not suitable for the US variant"...did the German one differ somehow?
                        curious to this too...I'd like to order one and have a nice backup OBC.

Comment

13 button obc instalation problems

Hey guys, I ordered a new obc display for my e30 and having some issues getting the pins centered properly (display missing segments). I also had this piece fall out while I was installing the display, does anyone know what it might be?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hakstern View Post
                            curious to this too...I'd like to order one and have a nice backup OBC.
                            Also curious about what is different in the US version and why it doesnt work.
                            e30sport.net
                            '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                            '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                            '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Maybe I am cynical, but I would bet it is because the proprietor does not want Americans cleaning out all of the inventory.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                                Maybe I am cynical, but I would bet it is because the proprietor does not want Americans cleaning out all of the inventory.
                                the Euro OBC does have a different part number than the US one. I dont know what the difference would be. Euro one maybe doesn't have US units?
                                e30sport.net
                                '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                                '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                                '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
                                X