Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speeduino DIY standalone EFI (M60 V8 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeduino DIY standalone EFI (M60 V8 content)

Hey guys. I've recently installed, got running and currently tuning a Speeduino DIY standalone EFI in place of the Bosch Motronic m3.3 controlling my M60B40

I wanted to go in-depth a bit more then my Supercharged M62 build thread and share a few pics & vids of the install. Speeduino is a fully opensource universal DIY EFI that uses an Arduino Mega 2560 controller. It is an extremely cost effective way to get into the standalone EFI game. That being said, in the world of standalone EFI you get what you pay for. More expensive units will have more options, more features and more R&D.

You can order directly from the creator of the system both bare unpopulated boards and component kits or pre-assembled boards. There are also a handful of third-party guys around the globe offering assembled Speeduino boards.

All of the resources are available online and the online community surrounding speeduino is very active with people willing and wanting to help.

My own Speeduino v0.4 board with the Arduino Mega2560 while I was making a plug'n'play type set up using a gutted 88pin 484 Bosch DME.

Options and outputs you get with Speeduino:
    • 4 injector channels
    • 4 Ignition outputs
    • Fully protected input channels for CLT, IAT, TPS and O2
    • Optional VR conditioner mount on crank and cam inputs (Which you'll need for BMW vr crank & cam sensors)
    • MAP sensor mount location
    • DRV8825 stepper module mount location (not needed for BMW 3 wire IAC)
    • 4 medium-current spare outputs (e.g., fuel pump, thermo fan, boost control, VVT, etc)
    • 5 unpopulated/configured optional low-current spare outputs in "proto" section, including tachometer and clutch/launch control
    • A single 40-pin IDC connector includes all pins required for the board with the exception of the 12v inputs
    • Built in 0kpa-250kpa MAP sensor
    • Works with TunerStudio software, same as MegaSquirt

You'll notice the board offers 4 injector outs and 4 ignition control outs. I say "ignition control out" because you can't directly drive an ignition coil from the board. You'll need a series of external drivers/control modules for each coil.

With 4 fuel & ignition outs you can run a 4cyl with sequential injection as long as there is both crank and cam signals. A 6cyl would be in semi-batch fire injection and waste spark using 3 channels of the board. A v8 will be semi-batch fire injection and waste spark using all four channels.

For my personal project I decided to go with a full MSD ignition system, MSD DIS-4, two 4cyl waste spark coils and MSD ignition wires. One could easily wire and adapt in control modules/drivers to maintain the BMW coil on plug and OE wiring.

Taking a look at the M62B44 short block I'm currently building you can see the paired cylinders that are 360 degrees apart from each other. While one cylinder is on it's compression stroke the other is on it's exhaust stroke.

Cyl's 1 & 6:

Cyls 2 & 8:

Cyls 3 & 5:

Cyls 4 & 7:

M60B40 firing order is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2, the Speeduino fires it's four channels in order so it's up to the end user to wire it for the firing order of that engine.

In the case of this M60 it'll be Channel 1 = Cyl's 1 & 6, Channel 2 = Cyl's 3 & 5, Channel 3 = Cyl's 4 & 7, Channel 4 = Cyl's 2 & 8.

The injectors get paired up the same way, thus calling it Semi-batch fire as they will fire two cylinders at a time sequentially.

At some point in time I figured I changed enough with the engine side wiring so I gave up with my Plug'n'play idea and hard wired the Speeduino to the vehicle.

Needed to wire the main relay to turn on with ignition switch instead of DME.

Reinstalled stock throttlebody with TPS

Since the system uses Speed Density or Alpha-N (your choice) there will be no more MAF sensor.

Now that we've got the hardware section wrapped up it's time focus on the software side of things.

Download lastest Speeduino firmware from the Speeduino Wiki:

Download the Arduino IDE:

Open-source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects.

Open up, configure and plug in the Arduino IDE for the Arduino Mega 2560 via USB, open the Speeduino.ino file in the previously downloaded firmware:

Verify Arduino sketch and upload to controller.

Download TunerStudioMS software:

EFI Analytics Software downloads. Download TunerStudio MS and MegaLogViewer free. Electronic fuel injection tuning software unparalleled by any offered by any available efi controller manufacturer.

I encourage everyone to register (pay) for the software as you get a lot of neat features with the registered version, however the software will still do what you need as the free version.

When you open studio and create a new project, you'll need to browse for the Speeduino.ini firmware and load it in TunerStudio.

Then open the BaseTune.msq in the Speeduino firmware folder as the base for your tune to modify and set up for your application.

With the registered version you can make your own gauges:

(still need to fix ignition angle description)

Setting up fueling for the M60B40 with stock 19lb injectors

The M60 uses a bosch 60-2 trigger wheel for crank sensor. The leading tooth offset is 60 degrees BTDC.

I was having trouble getting mine running with -60 offset, but it worked on 300 offset. With the latest firmware update I tried -60 again and it worked just fine.

The registered version of TunerStudio has a neat feature that will build a base VE table for your application by inputing engine specs:

There is an online calc that will build a base ignition timing map for your application as well:

EFI, Fuel Injection, Auto, automotive, car, TPI, computation, ECU, MegaSquirt, GPIO, MicroSquirt, Sequencer, stim, MegaShift, MShift, DIY, transmission, 4L60E, 4L80E, controller, shifter

With TPS closed, in calibrate TPS window hit Closed throttle ADC count get current. Then go to WOT and do the same for Full throttle ADC count

Calibrate Coolant and Intake Air temp sensors:

Calibrate AFR gauge input voltages for your specific brand of AFR gauge:

Tune the desired AFR ratio table, TunerStudio has a wizard to populate this table for you as well.

In spark settings lock ignition advance to an angle the engine can run at, I chose 10 degrees. Verify the ignition timing at the crank with a timing light matches the programmed locked out ignition advance. I ended up needing to change the crank trigger angle from -60 to -59 for timing light to match Speeduino.

Once Speeduino is all set up, configured, base tuned it should crank, fire up and run. I didn't use an IAC, you can use your Bosch 3-wire IAC and configure to maintain idle RPM.

With the engine running and coolant temp is up to operating temp TunerStudio has a self tuning VE that uses the AFR table and AFR gauge input to make changes to the VE table for you:

Here is my first fire up after install:

Thanks for checking out my Speeduino thread :-)
    Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 03-27-2018, 06:40 PM.

This is really cool. Thanks for taking the time to document it so well!
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Nice to see the DIY EFI stuff is running now - kindof funny that it uses msq files, but hey, if it works, it works!

Great looking build too. how do you like the DIY EFI?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Very cool build man! I'm just getting started with Speeduino on my Datsun 620. I have better plans with the e34 for Speedy as well. Can you toss up a pic of how you went from the back of the stock DME connector to the 40-pin Speedy connector? I've got a bunch of Dupont cables but they're so thin.
        Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

I ended up cheating and hard wiring the speeduino directly to the engine wiring harness. It is totally possible to maintain the 88pin connector if desired. I just didn't see a need to

Comment

Nice. I did that on my Datsun 620--chop chop and hardwired Speedy into the loom, then removed the extra wires
            Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Thanks for your build info. I am working on a low compression M60b30 with n63 twin turbos, Ferrari 348 intake manifold, and solid lifters. The exhaust manifolds mostly bolt right up with only a few modifications. I am getting closer to the controls work, and luckily I found your post.

I was looking into Megasquirt and found that the Speeduino unit is only a fraction of the price. Your tuning info looks pretty straight forward, and I think I have the skills to complete my build. Thanks again for the great work and documentation.

PS - the engine is eventually going into a kit car as I have adapted a Porsche 997 tranny. I am also planning on adding an EV motor from a 760, and I just need to get it calibrated. Too much fun!

Comment

Okay, ordered a kit from Great Britain, found a real cheap m60b30 ecu online for use as a case, and ordered a set of ls1 coil packs on ebay. All in all, I am under $300 for enerything! What I like about Speeduino best is it has 4 output channels - Megasquirt 2 has only 2 (at twice the price).

Now I just have to build the ecu, and then go through the existing wire loom. This is a looooooong term project, so I am in no hurry. Just downloaded Tuner Studio and will install.

Comment

BTW I have designed speeduino PCB for those bosch motronic ecus that m60 also uses: https://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2638

You can just assemble that inside stock m60 ecu case, use stock unmodified wiring harness and also use stock coils.

Comment

Wow, I am very impressed. This is a super cool product and project. I remember when I first heard about Speeduino, I was pretty skeptical since the processor was much less capable than the one in MS3, at least on paper. It looks like there's more to things than clock speeds and core bits! Then again, the M42's all ran on 1MHz 8b 8051's to begin with, so this is a huge step up from that, and I'd imagine that it is also a faster setup than what most of the M5x engines ran on, too. I am super happy to see something other than Megasquirt coming together for the DIY community!

There are a lot of posts in that thread, and I was looking for ignition coil driver info. I gathered that the drivers for the factory "dumb" coils are on the custom mainboard...are you using BIP373's or similar?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

In my speeduino PnP design I use ISL9V series ignition drivers. Those work great and can drive stock bmw coils easily. Even the mighty IGN-1 coils are not problem for those.

Comment

I'm glad to see open source alternatives to MS are easily available now, I'm looking forward to the day when I get to tune one of these for someone. Still haven't seen any cars running RusEFI in person.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Hi everybody

I love that Project! And I work at a very similar thing at the moment. Engine is a M60B40 (with body of B44 and steel sleeves with 92outer diameter and 89 bore so its again a M60B40 but ready to turbo oder supercharge). 50% of the mechanical stuff is done so its time to take care about electronics....

Some Questions after I read that 10 kilometer long forum that Pazi wrote above (its quite confusing because 1000 different things are discussed in one...)

1. I read about Teensy 4.1 is 1000 times faster than 2560. Can I use that for Pazi88 M60 Speedunio?
                          2. Injection is only with 4 channels but I read about 8 direct controlled injectors. Is that possible with Pazi and Teensy 4.1? I dont want to squirt 1 out of 2 times against a closed valve
                          3. With Pazi standard components is it possible to go directly with the standard BMW ingnition coils?
                          4. I hate soldering (because I am not good in it) so to avoid stupid mistakes can i buy Pazis board somehow tested and completly finished?

I have good basic understanding in electronics but no experice with arduino or similar... If you help me I promis i will create a Documentation for dumb guys (like me) that everybody can do it afterwards by his own. First without turbo/compressor, later I will add that :)

Thanks

Comment

And one more thing.... Pazi you have a VNLD5090TR-E on your List. It's not available anywhere.... is there an other way? It looks like just a protection, the VNL5090N3TR does the same and has almost the same spec. but the pinout is different and there is no status check and only one channel. looks like a global problem so we need a solution there otherwise nobody can assemble your board

Comment

I will like to ask if this speeduino will work on m62 or m62tu engine? I have one of m62b35 and another it is m62tu b44
                              but want the speeduino for m62b35.

Comment

Working...
                              X