89 325ix starts then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    yeah, some relays are triggered with a 12v signal, others are triggered with ground.

The green relay will work for both the FP and O2 heater, the white one is the main relay:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1515
    The main relay is 5 prong, right? I've always tossed any 4 prong relays I've had laying about into the FP and O2 and never had an issue.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

The main relay is definitely a 5 prong

Comment

Just replaced the DME with a certified used one and the car still wont start. Plugged the new ECU in and turned the key on and it still makss a buzzing soundd. Im really hoping this car doesnt need a wiring harness.
        Last edited by RWD BLOWS; 12-29-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

So I finally got the car to start but it runs really bad. Its definitely dumping fuel. What I need some assistance with is what tells the ECU the engine needs more fuel? I replaced the TPS but I'm not sure the best way of adjusting it. One of the screws is al mlm ost impossible to get to with the throttle body installed.

Comment

Glad you got it started finally.
            What do you mean by running bad? Dumping fuel?

Post a vid maybe.
            And major props for you sticking with it
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
              Glad you got it started finally.
              What do you mean by running bad? Dumping fuel?

Post a vid maybe.
              And major props for you sticking with it
              Thank you I've really been struggling with it. I will try to get a video but by dumping fuel I mean it's running very rich. So some sensor or a combination of sensors must send information to the ECU to tell the fuel system how much fuel to send to the engine. Like maybe the throttle position sensor. I replaced it with a brand new one and I set it to what I thought the old one was serlt too. But it may need some adjustment but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RWD BLOWS View Post
                Thank you I've really been struggling with it. I will try to get a video but by dumping fuel I mean it's running very rich. So some sensor or a combination of sensors must send information to the ECU to tell the fuel system how much fuel to send to the engine. Like maybe the throttle position sensor. I replaced it with a brand new one and I set it to what I thought the old one was serlt too. But it may need some adjustment but I'm not sure.
                Don’t set your new TPS to what the old one was set without confirming that its set to the proper speced setting. Sometimes a way to “hide” a failed, failing or delay having to change a bad TPS is to set the bad unit to run rich keeping the car running. Replacing it with a new functing unit but leaving the setting incorrectly too rich will naturally continue to cause propblems.

Max

Comment

My iX ran rich (and badly!) because the fuel return line to the tank was plugged up solid so the regulator and pump were dead headed and the fuel pressure was sky high.

Comment

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but I had a bad no start issue a couple months ago. Check/test the blue temp sensor on the t stat housing. Its the one that talks to the DME on start up on how rich/lean to start depending on temp.

I'm pretty confident that is what caused my issue which was super rich on start up. After that I kept pulling the plugs, drying them off, flood clearing the engine and still no start. I eventually put new plugs in and it fired right up. I didnt suspect the plugs at first as they were only about a month old. I guess they sat for so long in gas they just fouled out beyond repair.
                    sigpic

Comment

I will have to play around adjusting it I guess. Any tips on how to get to the screw one screw that seems to be impossible to get to?

Comment

So it looks like you just set it to it makes contact with the micro switch inside the sensor at the throttle closed position. I'm not sure there are fine adjustments to be made here.

Comment

So apparently you can put the harmonic balancer on wrong. It is keyed but you can still line up the 6 holes and thread the bolts in. When I did that it pushed the indexing pins in so the harmonic balancer was just spinning and the infinite was sending to the DME and not in time even though the motor was actually in time. Working on the car from the top I couldn't see it when I was installing it so I went by feel....think it was keyed and would only go one way but you can actually fuck this up....ask me how I know haha

Comment

That's definitely classed under zebras rather than horses

Comment

Wow that's crazy. It's "keyed" via the index pin, not the bolts, but I can see how it could feel evenly seated into the hub even if against the pin. Great find and props for sticking with it!
                              1990 M3
                              1991 325iX
                              1991 M5
                              1999 M3C
                              2003 M5
                              2012 X5 35d

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinerunner View Post
                                Wow that's crazy. It's "keyed" via the index pin, not the bolts, but I can see how it could feel evenly seated into the hub even if against the pin. Great find and props for sticking with it!
                                Yeah i mean while working on the car I could not see the indexing pin from the top position I was in. I am also short so leaning over the car I couldnt see it. I just rotated the harmonic balancer until it felt like it went into place and threaded the bolts into the hole. Oh well hopefully someone else learns from my mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X