Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowledge/ special tools

Hello,

I have been looking through youtube videos, forum chats, and anything on the damn web for walkthroughs on swapping my 318i engine with a M50. However, there is a lot of stuff in them I simply dont know (I'm not experienced at all at this). So my question is, if I'm not experienced and are only going off guides/ videos/ walkthrough, how much time/money/ frustration am I going to get from this? Because it seems like it is very much worth it, and I feel like if I do it once I can do it again and again.

Thanks,
    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

I had a moderate level of mechanical experience when I did mine, although I was using my good friends shop and often called on his knowledge being a master mechanic. That being said, it's fairly straight forward, all the info you need is readily available on these forums and just about every issue has been covered at some point. Time/money and frustration are going to be very dependent on your situation.

If you have everything on the new engine ready to go and every part you need, it's doable in a weekend...mine took 3 months of weekend work personally till it was done. I had some trouble shooting issues that took some time to work out.

Money is very dependent on how much you can find an engine and all that for. I lucked out and got my engine, trans (used my stock one ultimately), driveshaft and wire harness for $300. Toss in the associated parts needed for the swap to fit, replace any and all gaskets that are hard to access while it's out. After I sold off alot of my good M42 parts and recouped some money, I was all in for about $1k. My personal opinion would be to find a known, good running M50 from a manual transmission E36. The wire harness will fit almost like stock, the driveshaft should be what you need, the engine mount arms are what you need. Then get E34 oil pan/pick up, engine mounts and if the wiring scares you, a number of forum members make plug and play adapters for the engine harness. Mine works flawlessly.

These cars are pretty simple and with the wealth of aftermarket parts and know how on here, it's not that difficult.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
    X