M20b25 or m50 wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20b25 or m50 wanted

Hey guys, I'm planning on swapping out my sad auto tradgic m20b20 for either a m20 2.5l or a m50, only really thinking about the m20 as it will be a straight swap being able to keep aircon ect.

Where did you guys get your engines? Sites or wreckers? Or buying a wrecked doner car?

Cheers

Found an 2lt M50 at a U pull it a few months ago, picked it up for $300 currently disassembelling it.

Most of the older bmw engines M20 M30 can be had a junk yards cheap anything like a M42 M50 upwards are usually 1k+ unless you are lucky like me :)

I would say stick with a M20 rebuild it or turbo it. Plently of turbo kits you can buy from the states.
    sigpic

Comment

right, il have a look around, wouldn't be able to do a comp test would i from U pull, so it would be a bit of a gamble on wether its stuffed or not

Comment

hmm saw a 535i there, hmm that could be pretty mad, m30b35 just keep it NA

Comment

Yeh is the gamble you take. But my plan is to do a rebuild anyway so it did not bother me. Plus I also got a short block I want to make custom intake and ECU.

The M30 is a wicked engine if you don't mind the weight. Plus they are great to boost.
          sigpic

Comment

How much is it to get the cylinders and head resurfaced/machined to you reckon?

You building the m50 up for boost?

Was saving for a set of esm002's but I reckon il ditch that and start looking for a doner e34 or 7series or something. Keep the e30 a sleeper with the bottle caps a little longer.
            Doesn't look so bad with h&r races on it.

What's a decent place to get spacers , want to bring the bottle caps out a bit the look kind of sunk at the moment.

Comment

I had my M42 head reconidtioned for $400 so maybe $600 for a Sixer. But you also need to consider the condition of the cylinder walls ect with an engine from somewhere like you pull it.

Yeh I am building for Boost, but not sure what I will do with motor I have a E36 318i that could do with more power, I am keen to build a high rpm M42 to keep in the E30.

As far as spacers go places like turner motorsports or VAC motorsports has great stuff but there are members on here who also sell kits have a look in the Retail Classifieds.
              sigpic

Comment

What issues do you reckon there could be with the cyl walls? Like cracks?.

Comment

cracks or scratches, scratches beaing easier to fix obviously. But also bearings if they are worn and rubbed on the cranck journals, there is a bit of $$ and time in fixing that.
                  sigpic

Comment

What do you reckon would be a fair price for an m30b35 with 5sp

Comment

IDK know really I would guess $500 but people would probably try to pull $1000
                      sigpic

Comment

I bought an M20B25 from PennisulaBM in Mornington for $700. They shipped it to Darwin for me. Was a known non runner, but I was doing a full rebuilt anyway. Try them, they've got loads of parts and a line on new stuff very, very well priced.

Comment

Working...
                        X