Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knipex, more like snipex
    I have some of the side cutters for work and have snipped some things that are not meant to be snipped
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Ah, nevermind on the ITB comment then. Just thought it might make the car more enjoyable without being crazy.

Can you post up what standoffs you used for the wire loom? I really like how that worked out. I am doing a somewhat similar project with a cleaner bay but not “tucked” so I can actually access the wires.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
        Ah, nevermind on the ITB comment then. Just thought it might make the car more enjoyable without being crazy.

Can you post up what standoffs you used for the wire loom? I really like how that worked out. I am doing a somewhat similar project with a cleaner bay but not “tucked” so I can actually access the wires.

take a look at https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/cable...ounts/0666701/

secure them with an M4 rivnut into the original christmas tree hole
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Had a few hours. Finished off the earthing and pinning and plugging the passenger side headlight.

Decided to go with chrome headlights and black trim rings. No shadowline headlights.

Happy days!
          88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Best build thread I have ever witnessed. I wouldn’t change a thing with this car.

Comment

Random victory. I've been frustrated that the OE auxiliary fan is NLA. Even thought it would be perfectly fine to run a SPAL I don't want to.

Been looking at 'good second hand ones' and realise this is an oxymoron.

Randomly tried to order all the individual components... the fan rotor, the resister pack, the fan body... success! Coming from uncle schmiedmann as we speak...

Why you can't buy the whole thing, but you can buy all the parts... who knows...

hopefully when the DHL box arrives it actually has the bits i hope it does

:)

Comment

Yay for small victories!
                I do things.

Comment

minor update, finally picked an interior colour and leather has arrived from Spinneybeck.
                  This is their Copenhagen line, which is a full aniline, naturally died leather. It feels superb.

134 sq foot of hide (2 big cows)
                  It's quite blue, but I'm OK with that

Comment

oh man this is gonna be sweet. How are you planning to tackle the upholstery?

edit: realize that's a really vague question- mostly asking about deeper detailing of materials used/machine used etc etc. I have a machine and want to do some custom upholstery some day but have no idea where to start.
                    Last edited by wworm; 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM.
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I think that's a fantastic choice
                      sigpic

Comment

Minor update as a couple things have been happening. Quite slow as I have been building a new house like I’m building this car

Have been working to get the dashboard installed. So have been working on steering column, pedal assy, booster linkage and wiper assembly.

Have also been working with trimmer to plan the interior, which has presented the challenge of too many options. SO that’s taken some time to work through

Trim first. So we’ve been sketching on paper, seeking inpso and drawing on seats in chalk. We’re making progress

So many options have been tried. With different patterns. The same pattern with different stitching styles. Same both but with different colour threads… Too many options!
                        example

Also ‘various levels of puff’
                        Lots of puff

Some puff

No puff

All this is just vinyl for testing.

The seat base is decided.

Bolster options begin..

And I think we’re getting close

Last edited by burkey001; 09-27-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Dash wise, some new bits to go here and there.
                          New gaskets for the pedals and column to the firewall. These are OLD OLD stock.. one was perished straight out the packet

I didn’t want to put my old wiper assembly back in, as I recall that sometimes the wipers would judder. Not out of the way to suspect something like this that full of pivot points would be a little worn after 30 years. Amazingly, OEM stock available…

New fracture bolts for the column. Always wondered what thee would look like. I will fracture them off when im sure im finished!

Wiper assembly going… what a pain

New bungs and gaskets and spacers and stuff.

Pardon the shifter… couldn’t find a 22mm to snug them up

And all done, waiting for glass and new wipers

I should go take some pics of the other side of the firewall. The HVAC gubbins, pedals and such..

Comment

That new wiper linkage assembly is niiiice, but I doubt it will help with the wiper judder though. That is typically caused by hard dried up grease on the motor contacts. Its easy enough to rebuild the motor and get it working slick again, or of course just install a new one.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Are new motors dealer available? I've run out of good used ones of my spares
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                                That new wiper linkage assembly is niiiice, but I doubt it will help with the wiper judder though. That is typically caused by hard dried up grease on the motor contacts. Its easy enough to rebuild the motor and get it working slick again, or of course just install a new one.
                                That is interesting, thanks for the tip. I am going to pull it apart now and take a look.

Comment

Working...
                                X