Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I ended up flushing the cooling system two more times today with just pure water and now put in a 50/50 mix of BMW Blue. Should be good to go! I think I spoke too soon for the idle issue though, the car struggle's a bit until it's fully warmed up and then purrs like a kitten. Even the check engine light flashed a few times until the idle steadied out, not too worried though I'll get around to diagnosing that next week.

I also put in some new Bosch Spark plugs, plus changed the oil/ filter on it. I ended up stopping by my work to recycle all the old flushed coolant since I had no clue what to do with a few gallons of nasty stuff... Plus got rid of the old oil there. Lastly I found a OEM hose clamp there in my tool box since the car had a aftermarket one installed. Over all a successful day.

(Millage just for reference when all the services where done)

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 09-28-2018, 08:14 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Alright one more thing, I just took it for a spin for the first time to the gas station to put air in the tires. They where all between 15-20psi! And the more exciting news (to me anyways) the ODO still works which is a HUGE relief. I had my doubts it was still working but nope still ok!

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Great score! Nice to see another Mtech 'vert being restored :up:

Comment

Good thing they provided a warning sign about removing the rubber band on the dist cap or who knows what might have happened :-)
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Nice, I love MTECHs.. where in the bay are you located?
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
              Good thing they provided a warning sign about removing the rubber band on the dist cap or who knows what might have happened :-)
              Lol I know right, I got a laugh out of that one myself :D.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm located over in San Mateo so pretty close to where I picked up the car. Ok so today I got a few things done, I stomp tested the car and got the code "1223" which decodes to saying the coolant temp sensor info the ECU is receiving is invalid. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one. I figured while I'm in there I'd check the c191 connector and while there was a little bit of water in the connection, it was all pretty clean. Very small amount of corrosion starting on one pin so I sprayed some contact cleaner on it and used a wire brush to clean it off, nothing horrible by any means I've seen much worse..

I also took the valve cover off and plan on bringing it to work tomorrow to clean it off in our hot tank.

Comment

Good job, vert looks awesome! Only the shift lever just doesn't look right in one of these
                  Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                    Thanks guys! I'm located over in San Mateo so pretty close to where I picked up the car. Ok so today I got a few things done, I stomp tested the car and got the code "1223" which decodes to saying the coolant temp sensor info the ECU is receiving is invalid. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one. I figured while I'm in there I'd check the c191 connector and while there was a little bit of water in the connection, it was all pretty clean. Very small amount of corrosion starting on one pin so I sprayed some contact cleaner on it and used a wire brush to clean it off, nothing horrible by any means I've seen much worse..

I also took the valve cover off and plan on bringing it to work tomorrow to clean it off in our hot tank.
                    Oh nice, I work in hayward but live in SF so I drive by san mateo every day. If you ever need a hand I've owned about 25 e30s
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                      Oh nice, I work in hayward but live in SF so I drive by san mateo every day. If you ever need a hand I've owned about 25 e30s
                      Damn, sounds like you've owned almost too many to count! I've had my share of e30's but no where even close to your number :D. You'll have to swing by one day so I can check out your e30.
                      Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-31-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

So a few goodies arrived in the mail today, all new front suspension bits :D. I'll probably wait a few weeks until I install everything, I'm still debating on what springs/ shocks I should go with.. Leaning towards GC at the moment. I also bought a brand new never used Garagistic X Brace on Craigslist last week which I plan on installing at the same time. And lastly, a good buddy of mine gave me his US Plate filler he had installed on his last e30. I've looked on and off for a while now but was never able to successfully find one, might have a chance to get it on the car this weekend.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-31-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Alight guys well long time no update, I've been taking the extra time with this build rather then rushing into things like other's. First things first, the thermostat housing on this car was a little corroded (what e30's thermostat housing isn't actually) and it bugged me enough to take everything back apart and glass beed it clean at my training center. I figured at the same time why not do the manifolds, and the risky part.. I did the valve cover. I covered all the breather holes on the valve cover and rinsed it off at least 20 times, I think it should be good to go.

I plan on doing a valve adjustment and "while I'm in there" I decided I'll replace both coolant temp sensors on the thermostat housing. Also for future reference, everyone says you need to remove the fuel rail to remove the thermostat housing.. If you remove both coolant temp sensors before pulling the thermostat housing off it will clear with out having to remove the fuel rail.

Few pics bellow;

Broke my universal extension, already got it warrantied

And also broke a stud on the exhaust manifold..

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                            Damn, sounds like you've owned almost too many to count! I've had my share of e30's but no where even close to your number :D. You'll have to swing by one day so I can check out your e30.
                            My e30 is currently FWD

Build Threads:

Comment

Sub'd. Looks like you are making some great progress. I hope to have mine back from the painter by the end of the year.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

The Mini must be pretty fun to drive though regardless! My buddy is currently leasing a 2017 model that has, what I believe anyways, BMW's B48 engine installed. The new B series engines there coming out with are pretty crazy, there basically all the same engine besides the fact some have fewer cylinder then others. In other words, each cylinder has the same displacement between 4 and 6 cylinder engines, even pistons/ rods between the the 4 and 6 cylinder models are identical.

Austin funny enough I had no clue you even owned a Mtech, I guess I was just under the assumption you made the Mtech registry thread yet didn't own one lol. If you haven't already you should start a build on it, I don't recall seeing one?

Ok anyways I had a little time after work to get back to business. I finally had a chance to do a valve adjustment and man, was it needed. Every single valve's lash was out of spec, I mean I put a 10" inch feeler gauge in and there was no drag what-so ever on any valve. My co worker was telling me that usually the lash tightens over time rather then seeing a gap increase but I guess in this certain case the gaps just happened to become greater overtime.

I was going to put my freshly sandblasted thermostat housing on but it was getting a little late so I'll have to shoot for later this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X