Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a safe oil return hose. what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a safe oil return hose. what do you use?

I am looking for a 5/8 (16mm) ID hose that is safe to run from my turbo to my oil pan. From my understanding, oil temps in your turbo can hit 400+ degrees and that line is so close to my exhaust manifold I imagine it's going to get hot! What do you guys suggest for the hose? Neither my inlet or out outlet is threaded so I'm just looking for the line. any suggestions? best place to buy it?

So far I think I'm looking at something like this:
    Last edited by Yuri; 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heater hose

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

heater hose temp tolerances seem lower than needed, is that what you're running?

Comment

PTFE braided steel hose. I don't think most heater hose is even rated for oil.
          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Heater hose always seems to soak up the oil and swell. Here is what I would suggest:

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=SIHS

Hope that helps.

Comment

I used heater hose in a pinch in the past, it doesn't last though. I have some sort of 5/8" oil/fuel hose on my turbo now, Same piece since I did the swap so it's a couple of years old. Holding up fine. I shielded it from the radiant heat of the header with a bent piece of sheet metal.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

I use -10an braided steel, but used silicone heater hose in the past.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

A decent hydraulics shop will be able to give you some hardcore rubber hose to suit.

I got few metres of some sort of rubber hose designed for truck oil coolers or something years ago, have used it on three turbo car drains and never had an issue.

No way I'd be using heater hose.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                    A decent hydraulics shop will be able to give you some hardcore rubber hose to suit.

I got few metres of some sort of rubber hose designed for truck oil coolers or something years ago, have used it on three turbo car drains and never had an issue.

No way I'd be using heater hose.
                    This x 100. I had my local Napa (which does a ton of hydraulic line work here) make me a custom line for like $65. That way you get whatever fittings you want, whatever diameter, it's actually rated for piping hot oil, etc...

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Working...
                    X