m52 obd2 port diagnostics/phone apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m52 obd2 port diagnostics/phone apps

Has anyone used the Torque app or any other device to monitor engine information from the obd2 port? If so, what information can you read? I would really like to see RPMs and water temperature but not sure how advanced the e36 electronics are.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the trouble to wire in an obd2 port or if I should just buy an adapter for the 20 pin port in the engine bay.
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

I'm on an iphone and I use OBD Fusion with a wireless OBD reader. I think the app was like $9 and the wireless adapter next to nothing. It can read a ton of stuff; MPH, RPM, Water temp, MAF, Battery, Fuel Rate and O2 sensors. Definitely worth it for me.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
      I'm on an iphone and I use OBD Fusion with a wireless OBD reader. I think the app was like $9 and the wireless adapter next to nothing. It can read a ton of stuff; MPH, RPM, Water temp, MAF, Battery, Fuel Rate and O2 sensors. Definitely worth it for me.
      Oh awesome!! I was worried that you couldn't read all of that stuff because it's such old electronics.

Looks like I'll be wiring a real obd2 port inside the cabin.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I picked up a bluetooth obd II reader and use the torque app for android. I've been very pleased with it. You can get readings off of any sensor your ecu can read. The data sampling rate isn't all that fast which I think is limited by the ecu. Still quite worth it though. I've used it on multiple family and friends cars to check/clear codes since purchasing it as well.
        1987 325 w/ M52b28 - Bronzit
        2007 X3 - Platinum Bronze

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelMustard View Post
          I picked up a bluetooth obd II reader and use the torque app for android. I've been very pleased with it. You can get readings off of any sensor your ecu can read. The data sampling rate isn't all that fast which I think is limited by the ecu. Still quite worth it though. I've used it on multiple family and friends cars to check/clear codes since purchasing it as well.
          Perfect!

I'm looking forward to being able to read water temp at the very least. I don't trust the e30 temp gauge at all especially when I have an aluminum m52...
          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Here's a video demonstrating obd revs vs cluster.
            As you can see, the same rate just isn't fast enough.

RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
              Here's a video demonstrating obd revs vs cluster.
              As you can see, the same rate just isn't fast enough.

https://youtu.be/LwfR62t5TyY
              Very cool!
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
              X