M50/M52 hybrid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50/M52 hybrid question

Hi, planing on doing an hybrid between M50B25TU and M52B28TUB with few parts from other engines also

Does the m52 dualvanos head fit the single vanos m50 block? I have standalone management and i’m planing a turbo build on my IX

Originally posted by nyl View Post
    Hi, planing on doing an hybrid between M50B25TU and M52B28TUB with few parts from other engines also

Does the m52 dualvanos head fit the single vanos m50 block? I have standalone management and i’m planing a turbo build on my IX
    It doesn't fit at all. Even with lot of modification, because coolant flow is different in dual vanos engines. Get m50/m52 single vanos head.

Comment

That was I afraid of... Thanks a lot for the info :)

I suspected that dual vanos head even if it shares same bolt patern, the oil and coolant lines might be different

Comment

I've heard that the exhaust vanos doesn't do much at all to increase performance and is mostly just for emissions reasons?

If I were you and was planning to turbo, I'd just go nonvanos honestly.

Comment

The m52tu is almost the same as an m54. It's much more similar to that than it is to an m50

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
          IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
            I've heard that the exhaust vanos doesn't do much at all to increase performance and is mostly just for emissions reasons?

If I were you and was planning to turbo, I'd just go nonvanos honestly.
            Exhaust vanos has some effect on low end torque but not much. But intake vanos makes world of difference. And in dual vanos engine the vanos moves more than in single vanos engine making that even better. Also the intake is much better. It's all about area under the curve that tells how well the engine performs. Not peak hp ;)

For almost any build I would prefer m52tu and m54 over m50/m52. Those hold very well in turbo use also, because the stock headgasket is thin mls. So 16psi on unopened engine is not problem. Only if you aim for really high hp like +700, then the iron block is better starting point.

Comment

Working...
            X