Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another OBD question

Hi guys,

About a year ago I swapped my E28 520i (m20b20) with a m52b28 from a 1997 E39 528iA Touring Executive.
    All went quite well but I couldn't figure out how to connect the 20 pin OBD diagnostic port. Now the engine is running like crap So I really need to figure it out.

I have this 20 pin OBD connector:

Which of those wires goes where? And could this connector have something to do with the OBD?

BTW, is the round OBD connector supposed to be part of the engine loom or the car loom?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by RobinME28; 07-30-2017, 01:57 PM.

It's connected to the engine wiring loom.

In that round diagnostic connector. You need to connect +12v to pin 16, GND to pin 19. And then K-line to pin 20. You can find the K-line from pin 88 at ECU connector:

Comment

I finally had time to remove the entire loom and find the right wires. I preferred to connect the wires as close as possible to the ECU connector so I could have the OBD port in the glovebox. Until I realized that making it removable could save some space in the glovebox. So I used a three-way connector ;)

Though, after trying to connect with an OBD scanner, I had no signal at all. Looking at the image of pazi88 I realize that I only connected pin 26 of the ECU with the OBD pin 16.
      Do I have to connect 26, 49 and 60 with the OBD port?

Comment

No. Any 12v source is enough. Did you remember to splice the grond wire for obd port? There is two ground pins at obd 2 connector which both need to be wired. Make sure with multimeter that you have +12v and gnd in correct pins. Also those connector diagrams might be mirrored depending which way you look at them so keep that in mind.

Comment

I connected the 20 pin OBD1 connector directly to the ECU ;)

Does the 20 pin connector also needs 2 grounded pins?

Oh and I took the ECU connector apart to find the right wires, also checked wire colors.

Comment

I got this X6002 connector pinout: Do I really not need pin 1, 2, 4, 12, 14 and 17?

So pin 4 will supply power when the key is put into the first (accy), second (run) and third (start) position while pin 16 will only supply power in the second and third position. Pin 14 will supply +12V at all times if I'm right. Do I need all three +12V for the OBD reader to be able to connect?

Last edited by RobinME28; 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

In the end I found all the right wires to be able to connect the OBD scanner :D It took me a while to figure out what wires were needed to feed the scanner but this is what I got:

Comment

I finally found this scheme... For some reason, it was really difficult to find, although these cars are very common. Okay, anyway, thank you very much! This is very useful to my friend, as he has serious problems with this port. In a week's time, I'm going to visit him so that we can check his car with my new diagnostic tool from https://thinkdiag.co.uk. He promised that he would fix everything until then. Now that I have finally found this scheme, I have absolutely no doubt that it will cope! Have a nice day, thank you again!
                Last edited by Xantinan; 01-11-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Trying to connect a obd port can someone please post a wiring diagram, e30 with a m52b28

Comment

Working...
                  X