Exploring the potential - M52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploring the potential - M52 swap

Edit - Apologies, this is in the wrong forum. Please delete.

I am still in the early stages of even thinking about this so just want opinions for now. I have a 91 318i convertible that I am slowly fixing up. The engine is in good shape, I just did the upper and lower oil pan gaskets, it has 185k miles and runs rather well. I will repaint it soon, and it's a great car so far. I recently came across a complete 98 328i 5sp that I can pick up for very cheap. It's a cosmetic mess but the mechanicals are very solid. I am considering just buying it, parting out the stuff I don't need(body panels, interior, seats, etc) and then potentially swapping the motor (and whatever else) into the 318ic. I would then sell the m42 as a complete motor. The donor car(328i) is cheap enough(around $1k) and is a complete car. I've been reading up on the swap and now have a general idea of what to expect. The question is, is it worth undertaking? The car right now is very fun(albeit slow) and needs very little apart from a repaint. I know the m52 transforms it. I do like that I can get the complete car, so I'll most likely keep it obd2. Also seeing I can use my existing trans? I feel like once I part it out, i will come out ahead and if i sell the m42, it will be even better. Would you do it? I like the simplicity of the way it is now but that 6cyl power is tempting. Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by dc318icabrio; 02-12-2018, 07:27 AM.
    Rokas
    1991 318i Convertible - Lagunengruen 5sp
    2013 Land Rover LR4 HSE
Working...
X