Caliper Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper Rebuild or Replace?

Hey all! I brought the car to the track for the first time a month ago and had an absolute blast, but quickly found the weak links (aside from the driver ;) ), the worst of which was my brakes.

So I picked up all new Brembo blanks and PFC carbon pads - freaking amazing. Now, last week I went again and the brakes were fantastic for the most part, however, there was some significant pedal travel after about 15-20 minutes of track time. So much so that I had to pump the brakes going into most corners to achieve a firm pedal like I had for the first 15 minutes.

The fluid was bled with fresh DOT4 a month ago, so I don't think it's the problem. I was looking into rebuilding the calipers and I expect that I'll find tons of nasty brake fluid behind the piston.

My question is this - at what point does it make more sense to just replace calipers rather than rebuild them?

Open up the calipers to check the condition of the bore and piston.

You will find brown goop.

After cleaning and polishing the bore and piston with a scotchbrite pad...

If there is pitting, get new ones.

The piston should be smooth and "pretty" after cleaning. The bore is cast, but you can tell what part should be smooth by looking at it.
    1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

Working...
    X