The Unknown South African 530MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unknown South African 530MLE

Part of Drive 4 Corners BMW efforts to create a regional community is to put out a weekly release of BMW related content. A few months back we released short article about a rather unknown BMW. The South African 530 MLE. Quite a few enthusiasts know about the M745i, and E30 333i, but not so many about this car. I felt like I found all of the sources possible, including reaching out to those I thought may know something, and those in South Africa who own these cars to get as accurate of a story as possible. I hope you take a moment to read through it and learn some BMW history as well!

I present to you Forgotten Beginnings; enjoy!

South Africa has been a unique automotive market, and a thriving community for automotive manufacturing. Because of this, there is currently a following for all of the major automotive manufacturers, including BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, Volkswagen, and Renault. In particular, there is a rather large following of BMW enthusiasts, and proof of this is the large range of models offered by BMW Motorsport. Sporty South African-specific models such as the E23 M745i, E30 333i, and the Alpina powered E30 325is (All offered in RHD of course) are almost cult cars to many in North America, but rather well known to South African natives. BMW roots in South Africa started back in the late 60′s with the offering of GLAS based BMW’s such as the 1800 GL, 2000 GL, 1804 and 2004 models (more interesting, look up the BMW Cheetah).
    Full story here:
    Forgotten Beginnings – 530 MLE | Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet[/
    http://www.Drive4Corners.com

cool
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

very cool! Also hadn't heard of the 333i
      1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
      1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
      1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
      My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Working...
      X