what should i pay 86 535i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should i pay 86 535i

I'm looking at this 86 5 speed 535i with about 220k on the clock I'm not 100% what the color technically is but it looks bronzit
    The guy is looking for $1700
    I've only owned e30's as far as a bmw so anything I should look for?

It has a everything there for interior and the body is in decent shape but doesn't run supposedly needs a gas tank or lines
    He said when he went to do the fuel filter due to not running good rusty gas came out
    Very minimal rust
    My phone won't let me download pictures but I'll try to get some up tonight when I get home
    Thanks for the help everyone!
    IG- nv_e30

$1700? I would beat on that price just a bit if it isn't pretty clean.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Look at rear bumper mounts, if you check my thread (I had to buy it) in this section you'll see what I have found to be common on a lot of fivers.
      sigpic

Comment

For comparison purpose I will share that in the last few years I've bought a few M30 e28's. Two with higher mileage but operational and all together. Two I bought at $1200 (both 535is') and one 535i that had many mechanical needs but no rust for $300 (drove it home with clear title at transfer but am still replacing virtually everything in the drive line and repainting ).

This was my first, a bit rough and I traded it for an E30 hard top. It was a 5-speed swap with high mileage. Diamond black metallic 2-stage in its aged state:

The second my son is driving daily, also 5-speed. Alpine single stage, but we've had to repair/replace pieces after deer contact. It has the rust I describe below so it will need repairs and paint to survive:

The $300 project:

Cosmos blue (also 2-stage paint) that now looks like it has a bad sunburn. I've installed moonroof, all new running gear and driveline. I have an M-Tech kit to install and repaint the whole thing the same Cosmos so by the time I'm done the going in cost is incidental. It had minimal rust but some dents to repair. However, I'm pleased that I didn't pay any more than $300 for it and that I was able to get it to run and stop then get it home (was a BMWCCA ad by the way).

As noted above, look for rust at the bumper shock reinforcements/valance (rear DS in particular), rocker panels at jack points, in front of the trunk and the trunk lip with the rubber gasket, over the rear plate at the lights and in the floor pans behind the fender shields and rear under the seat. Autotragic's tend to carry less value. Most of the E28s with the two stage metallic paints are on their second or third repaint by now (bronzit among them).

You are going to spend at least a couple large getting your E28 where you want it (assumes you do the wrenching/body and paint) so buy the best one you can find from a knowledgeable owner or go in at the lowest price you can negotiate. You'll find all the parts you need from the same sources you use for your E30 and all of your knowledge and experience will be very handy. Try looking at the For Sale Classifieds over on MyE28.com for some additional comparison sales. I hope this helps with your decision and offer. I've really enjoyed all of my E28s.
        Matt
        McLean, VA

Comment

Working...
        X