No announcement yet.

Ignition Tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapped in another coil. The ignition tester works. But it still seems to have a fairly weak spark and I'm running lean... :(

I think I'm giving up on this car. Bringing it to a shop. If they can't find the problem I'm going to part it out or sell it. Sucks. I spent thousands of dollars and hours but nothing seems to work. Fuck it to hell.
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

What is the problem you are having?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
        What is the problem you are having?
        The car runs lean. CEL light comes on with code 1221. It's likely from unburnt fuel... I can smell it in the exhaust and see it on the plugs. I've check everything and all seems fine. I'm totally stumped. After having rebuilt (and destroyed) two engines and now swapping in a third I'm still having issues and a car that just sucks money and time and has given me nothing back in over 4 years. I have to finally just give it up. I'm tired of it. It has totally demoralized me. I've learned so much in the process but not enough to get me back on the road. I'm bringing it to a shop. I'll allow an expert to give it a shot for a couple of days work but I'm doubtful it will be resolved. It's proven to be a very complicated gremlin...
        And no matter how many new parts are on this thing I don't see getting much cash out of it complete, so I'm forced to tear it down and part out an otherwise mint example of a 325iX. It's a crying shame.
        My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Have you smoke tested the intake to check for vacuum leaks? Swapped in a known working AFM?

Not a lot that would cause it to run lean. How do you know it is lean?

Comment

There's no vac leaks. AFM works. Thanks.

I installed a broadband o2 - so I know it's running lean...
            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

did you ever check the grounds?

as frustrating as it is - Motronic 1.3 is extremely simple. I think you said you replaced the harness once? what about the DME itself?
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah. All grounds are clean. I even sanded everything to bare metal...
                I swapped in 2 ECUs and tried another harness - even though my original is in perfect shape. No luck.
                For another good laugh and punch to the gut, I ordered another coil (4th one) for one last ditch effort...
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Working...
                X