• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acetel is good, it's pretty much self lubricating and rigid
    "I wanna see da boat movie"
    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

These appear to be RC-car-esque acetal gears. Have you milled them down so they fit correctly or are they still slightly too tall? Don't get me wrong, they fit and work, I run them in my car, I'm just curious if you've modified them in any way to improve fit.

Here's a shot of them fitted to my odometer, for reference. If you look at where the black gear contacts the gear above it in the picture, you can see its off by a tiny bit:

For anyone that needs it, here are the complete specs for the e30 VDO gears pictured above. You should probably grease them a bit before install, as they can bit noisy at low speeds. Note these only work for VDO clusters. Motormeter clusters use non-standard ratios, I've been unable to find a mass produced source for motometer gears, you'd make a killing if you could get them at the same price.

The 12 tooth gear, 1.9mm bore is press fit for a 2.0mm shaft:
      GM0.5-12-19 (module 0.5mm, 12T, 1.9mm bore)

The 2 big black and yellow gears, 2.0mm spin fit
      GC0.5-12/48-20 (module 0.5mm, 12T/48T 2.0mm bore)
      GC0.5-14/48-20 (module 0.5mm, 14T/48T 2.0mm bore)

Comment

I knew I shouldn't have been throwing away those broken odometers over the years. When the small main drive gear stripped I never knew how to change that little guy.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

So these gears don't work for moto-meter gears then?
          91 318is M50 swapped
          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I knew this would happen one of these days. If you're doing what I think you are, I'm really not impressed.
            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
            1974 2002tii / stock
            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Thank you for your purchases. We look forward to continuing to help the e30 community.

We are short on a couple of the gears right now. They should be here within a day or two. Tracking numbers will be sent as soon as we have them.

We will be offering the motor meter gears. They will be available soon! Ill be posting updates on this thread as soon as we have sets in hand. They will be the same price as the vdo set.

Originally posted by hotghias View Post
              In for one. Thanks for the good deal. I always thought it was a bit ludicrous that places charged $80 or whatever for the little gears.
              yes that is ridiculous for some tiny gears. Even the ebay price at $40 is a bit steep. I think this is why many of the e30 owners just learned to live with it. No reason to put up with it now however!

fliplap: thank you for chiming in. Yes lubrication would help, Acetel is pretty much self lubricating but lubrication would make installation a bit easier and keep noise down!

We will take pics of the contact area on our gear set and post!

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
                I knew this would happen one of these days. If you're doing what I think you are, I'm really not impressed.
                Seeing as how he totally dodged my question about fit, I'm guessing they're doing what we think they're doing, and I am also not impressed.

But motometer gears for $15 would be a good deal, unless other suppliers have started offering the oddball ratios for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by fliplap View Post
                  Seeing as how he totally dodged my question about fit, I'm guessing they're doing what we think they're doing, and I am also not impressed.

But motometer gears for $15 would be a good deal, unless other suppliers have started offering the oddball ratios for some reason.
                  Whether you're impressed or not, to me $15 to get working gears is more than worth the effort it would take to track down whatever RC-car gears I'd need.
                  If it's so easy and unimpressive, why didn't you start selling these?
                  S52-Powered 1987
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Hayes View Post
                    Whether you're impressed or not, to me $15 to get working gears is more than worth the effort it would take to track down whatever RC-car gears I'd need.
                    If it's so easy and unimpressive, why didn't you start selling these?
                    Because I don't consider it ethical to buy a product in bulk and mark up the price to sell to fellow forum members while marketing it as their own.
                    1974 2002tii / stock
                    2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Fair enough, hadn't considered that.
                      Outside of any moral issues, I'm ok with paying markup on something I'm unlikely to be able to source myself for that low-low price. Even if the gears are a buck apiece, I'm pretty ok with it, although being up-front about stuff like this is always preferrable.
                      S52-Powered 1987
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fliplap View Post

No please do not misunderstand. I want to see if the gears from my vendor have the same design. Just want to make sure 110% before giving you answer. I will be also posting a picture of the same angle for comparison.

I promise I did not intend to dodge your question. Ill be posting pictures of our gears for comparison.

The motometer will be priced the same as well.

We dont mean harm. Just help. The vendor above would be more expensive to get a kit when you factor in shipping from across the world.

Because I don't consider it ethical to buy a product in bulk and mark up the price to sell to fellow forum members while marketing it as their own.
                        Our only intention with this product is that people wont have to pay $40 a set. Thats not fair. We are not making a fortune on these. Shipping alone take $5 right off that price (flat rate usps box). How much could we have possibly marked up the price at $15 SHIPPED?

We are sorry if some people took this offensive. That wasn't our intention. We plan on offering more items to the e30 community (including our much anticipated m60 swap mounts which is being tested now). We are not just a make profit kinda company. We are e30 fanatics and plan on doing much much more then just some odometer gears.

Comment

I know exactly what you paid, because we use the same source. The difference is that I sell them as whole, finished products. It's easy to act as a middle man.

Nevertheless, I'm excited to see your swap mounts. The only produced options run 200 euros plus shipping iirc.
                          1974 2002tii / stock
                          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Isn't that how things work? If you have the cash/source to buy in bulk why not make a little profit? Is that wrong? You realize that is what every vendor on this forum is doing? Shame on them right?

Comment

i've said my peace. out.
                              1974 2002tii / stock
                              2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

I can't wait for the motometer and at $15 bucks i'll be getting a few. Please let me know when you have any available.

Thanks!
                                My Wagon

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=190111

Comment

Working...
                                X