Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slammin' e28's (terrible investment) e24.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr. Burns View Post
    i liked it better with the foliage in the back seat:(
    +1.
    1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
      I liked it better with the foliage in the back seat:(
      Yes well....I like the white stitching on black leather seats...mmmt....mmmmmmmmm!
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Kom's right. I thought mine would be a fixer and sel, but after having some seat time, it decided to stay.

sigpic

Comment

Kom's right. I thought mine would be a fixer and sel, but after having some seat time, it decided to stay.

And you're right about the e24 being a terrible investment. Maybe 15 years from now it will be worth something, but a clean example isn't pulling in enough to make it worth your while. And you have an e12 based 633 so your even more in the hole there. No offense

sigpic

Comment

There's a niche of people who like the early e24s. Everyone I know personally who has an e24 has an early one, and they love them. Plus too, you don't see many at all.

My goal is to drive this car to the Vintage next year. Body done or not.

Plan of attack is:
            -Change the fluids
            -Install missing brake caliper, flush brakes
            -Replace ignition system
            -Ditch air pump and thermal reactors
            -Attack the suspension, starting with steering components and working back.
            -Rebuild shifter

Mixed in there will be fiddling with the electrics and interior work. Needs a windshield, but that's going to wait to see if I can source a crack free dash, or fix mine.

Really the only electrics I know I've got to play with are the windows. None go down except the right rear.

I'm not getting any money out of it as is, so I may as well increase the value, even if my expense is going to go up.

Comment

You got a point there. A 4 spd manual is far better then a 3 spd shlushbox. Let me know if you want to do a 5 spd swap. I have a bellhousing that works with e12 electronics( no sensor holes).

sigpic

Comment

hah, my right rear is the only one that currently doesn't work. I got it to go down, now it won't go up.

need shocks? I'm debating taking the NOS konis out of mine and putting the bilsteins in, so the konis would be for sale.
                cars beep boop

Comment

So, I threw a caliper on the rear. It stops now.

Motor runs strong, like, I wasn't expecting it to run so good. Like, seriously......it runs damn good.

Gave it a bit of a wash too, just to knock off some of the green mold shit, and show the car someone is going to take care of it.

Comment

Welp, enjoy your permanent addiction.

A 6 is a beautiful, majestic thing though. Just wait till you flog that boat down the backroads, you'll love it.
                    '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Welcome to the club. Its all downhill. Now I need an e28...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Komzorz View Post
                        Welp, enjoy your permanent addiction.

A 6 is a beautiful, majestic thing though. Just wait till you flog that boat down the backroads, you'll love it.
                        Originally posted by 1craze30 View Post
                        Welcome to the club. Its all downhill. Now I need an e28...
                        Haha, thanks!

Tonight I'll continue to clean the interior. I've got to get a thrust washer for my M3, then I can get it off the lift and throw this thing on and see what's going on under it. From what I could see yesterday, the underside is relativity rust free. Looks like it's got a new diff mount (yes, it's a sideloader).

PS fluid was still red, although that was the small amount left in the reservoir. Filled it with some fresh ATF and the PS came back to life.

Brakes are really mushy, but I only bled the caliper I put on. When I get the lift free'd up I'll take all the calipers off and rebuild the whole system. This just allows me to move it around the driveway without worrying about running into things (barn with lift is on top of a hill).

Lights work, although I think one or two of the signals is dead. Wipers work too.

Blower fan works, but only if you have the dial set to cold. Something is jamming up behind the dash.

I've got to get to diaging the windows. I hate hate hate being in a stinky car with the driver's window up. Especially one full of spiderwebs, with my fear of spiders.

Anywho, I set some lemon scented ammonia on the dash, hopefully that'll help.

I honestly haven't felt this enthused about fixing a car for a long time.

Feelsgoodman.

Comment

Compression test #'s.

Also got a bit into the vintage of it....

A few of the spark plugs were actually loose, so that could be why it was kinda running like garbage. Took it for a quick jaunt up the road, before testing it, and it did alright. Didn't like to keep the rear wheels planted. Suspension needs a complete overhaul. Bounces like a freaking boat.

Comment

...annd here we go. Found out why the car smells like death. Queasy stomachs look away.

This is numero uno. Dos is in the trunk under the carpet half rotted, half there, and tres was a baby skeleton I sucked up with the shop vac.

Really, at this point, I'll pay someone $50 to come over and dismantle the interior for me.

Please?

Comment

Oh god thae rats!!!! I had 1 in mine. Dead in its nest in the trunk. Even the riff raff rats love the 6!!

sigpic

Comment

A friend of mine has a euro valence for that car. Next time I'm at his shop I'll take pics for ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X