Brake's need a little refresh..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake's need a little refresh..

Alright, my 1990 325i has 220k on it. I have only had it a few months. I have no records of last time the brakes were done. And recently I made the mistake of driving a small distance with the e brake up. So now that doesn't work so well. The pedal has always been very soft, and in return the braking was poor.

I am looking to do a budget brake refresh. Im thinking I will order:

Front and rear blank Brembo Disks
    Some sort of performance pad
    New OEM brake lines... or braided?
    new wheel speed sensors x4
    new fluid
    e brake shoes

Any thing I should change? Anywhere you guys recommend ordering from? Should I rebuild my calipers? What is needed to do so?

Thanks!

Picture for fun.

View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Any thoughts?
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Contact blunt. He will set you up.

Comment

No need for stainless brake lines if you were thinking of it. OEM will work perfectly.

BMA has good prices on break stuff. Check them out :p

Comment

Guten sells stainless for I think very close to the price of oem iirc think it might be worth the upgrade

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

No need to replace rotors if they aren't warped or badly worn. Just a waste of money. Same with the wheel speed sensors. If they work, no need to replace.

Might consider investing in a vacuum brake bleeder. Makes things a lot easier.

Comment

stock pads do great, I just went with ate pads and brembo blanks for the rear. Was hoping for Pagid pads but BMA couldn't locate them anywhere for awhile.

Originally posted by blunttech
              Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Brake caliper rebuilds are inexpensive and probably needed. New OE lines are as good as it gets, unless you count the bling factor. The mileage on the car suggests replacement of the master cylinder and reservoir, before either fail. As stated above, don't bother with the wheel speed sensors unless one or more are bad. Otherwise, plain rotors and some variety of High Performance Street pads will complete the refresh.

Invest in a pressure bleeder. It makes flushing/bleeding the system a trivial exercise.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Might want to add brake lining sensors (two) too.

Comment

Front and rear blank Brembo Disks No need for brembo, get the cheapest available. I run OP Parts on my cars. Centric are also very good rotors.
                    Some sort of performance pad No real recommendation, look at some Hawk pads, or Stoptech. I'm not a huge fan of Mintex
                    New OEM brake lines... or braided? OEM
                    new wheel speed sensors x4 Only if needed
                    new fluid ATE Superblue or Type 200 Amber
                    e brake shoes

As far as the calipers, inspect the old pads as you remove them and look for uneven wear. Most likely with 220k they should be rebuilt anyway.

Where in Washington are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X