Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e28 528e vs e34 525i (Cost & Reliability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e28 528e vs e34 525i (Cost & Reliability)

Talking about cost and reliability between e28 528e vs e34 525i, for a daily drive, given both are in a good running condition.

Which one do you think is more beneficial than the other?

Modification is out of the question here.

Why is modification out of the question?

The 528e is cooler and has more nostalgia and class, that is for sure.

But to the technical stuff:

I am going to go ahead and assume you are talking about 5-speed manual for both.

Cost:
    E28 will be cheaper, hands down. Parts are simpler and the car as a whole is less complex. You will also get better gas mileage.

Reliability:
    This depends on the condition of the car you buy. Assuming both cars are in good shape, I would say the reliability is about even between the two. The M20 motor is more robust than the M50, so I would say the M20 may win reliability there, but the rest of the E28 will be older, so chassis bushings and ball joints may be in worse shape.

Comment

Depends on which E34 525i M20 or M50? Each engine has it's pros and cons. If the timing belt breaks on the M20 you mind as well hang it up. If the M50 overheats or you look at it wrong, the headgasket may let go. However, the M50 is now a common junkyard engine so it's not a big deal. I would take the E34 525i M50 version. Don't get me wrong, I like E28's just not with the ETA engine. If you thought E30 325e was slow...you get the picture. I like the E28 535iS but that's not listed as one of your options.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        Why is modification out of the question?

The 528e is cooler and has more nostalgia and class, that is for sure.

But to the technical stuff:

I am going to go ahead and assume you are talking about 5-speed manual for both.

Cost:
        E28 will be cheaper, hands down. You will also get better gas mileage.

Reliability:
        The M20 motor is more robust than the M50, so I would say the M20 may win reliability there,
        i think you got these backwards chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Onizukachan View Post
          i think you got these backwards chief.
          I'm sorry you feel that way.

Comment

That's right, i'd rather have 5-speed.

Sounds like e34 m50 is slightly better package than e28 528e (m20).
            I would assume they have similar average fuel mpg.

e28 535i probably consume more fuel than e34 m50, for daily drive mix 50/50 city/hwy.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand525 View Post
              That's right, i'd rather have 5-speed.

Sounds like e34 m50 is slightly better package than e28 528e (m20).
              I would assume they have similar average fuel mpg.

e28 535i probably consume more fuel than e34 m50, for daily drive mix 50/50 city/hwy.
              The E28 528e will get around 26-28 mpg avg while the E34 525i M50 will get 22-24 avg.

If you want something "nicer" and more comfortable, get the E34. If you want something "cooler" that has more character, get the E28.

Comment

E28 all day. E34s are what ruined BMWs.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

atleast with the eta e28 you could get a Manual. A e34 m50 manual is a hard find.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                    The E28 528e will get around 26-28 mpg avg while the E34 525i M50 will get 22-24 avg.

If you want something "nicer" and more comfortable, get the E34. If you want something "cooler" that has more character, get the E28.

even my touring with 18x8.5s on it was pulling 24 average. it is not uncommon to get 26+ with an e34 525/5 sedan stocker, as you save 400+ lbs and a crap load of rolling resistance and rotational inertia.

if you want something old that you have to baby and is just a PITA to work on and keep up, get the e28. If you want something useful and reliable, get the e34.
                    400K with nothing but oil,filter,and plug changes= m50, not m20.
                    far better and more reliable engines.

If i wanted an e28, I could pick one up for around $500-800 bucks, but why would I want a late 70s technology car, as a DD in the `10s? Too much has changed since then, including the simple fact that in-city speed limits are the same or faster than interstate speed limits were back then. Plus No R12, generally backwards electronics and HVAC design, awkward styling...
                    just not interested in doing that "living with the limitations of a quirky vintage car" thing again.
                    And it sounds like the OP is thinking the same thing.

m50/5 are NOT that hard to find. Or make, worst case scenario.

Comment

Equipped with stock wheels my 230k '95 525i/5 gets 29mpg on the freeway at 75mph, and compared to the auto 528e I've driven the m50 e34 is 1000% more enjoyable to drive. These things combined with better reliability and lower maintenance makes the choice for a daily driver a no brainer.

Oh, and U.S. spec e28 bumpers are ugly as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Onizukachan View Post

even my touring with 18x8.5s on it was pulling 24 average. it is not uncommon to get 26+ with an e34 525/5 sedan stocker, as you save 400+ lbs and a crap load of rolling resistance and rotational inertia.

if you want something old that you have to baby and is just a PITA to work on and keep up, get the e28. If you want something useful and reliable, get the e34.
                        400K with nothing but oil,filter,and plug changes= m50, not m20.
                        far better and more reliable engines.

If i wanted an e28, I could pick one up for around $500-800 bucks, but why would I want a late 70s technology car, as a DD in the `10s? Too much has changed since then, including the simple fact that in-city speed limits are the same or faster than interstate speed limits were back then. Plus No R12, generally backwards electronics and HVAC design, awkward styling...
                        just not interested in doing that "living with the limitations of a quirky vintage car" thing again.
                        And it sounds like the OP is thinking the same thing.

m50/5 are NOT that hard to find. Or make, worst case scenario.
                        Huh.

In my experience an E28 is much easier to work on than an E34, as everything about it is simpler. And the M20 is more robust than the M50, because it is older and more proven technology, and a simpler design, which is what "robust" means.

Also, my E28 528e got 28mpg avg driving mostly back roads around 50 mph. I had a couple M50 E36s that got 24mph avg and 28-30 on the highway. I can't imagine an E34 would fare better, as it is a heavier car. I never got a mpg reading from my E28 on the highway.

Also, how are you measuring mpg? with the mpg gauge, or filling the tank and dividing total miles by total gallons?

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                          wut

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

^Yes slammin, please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by be34st View Post
                              wut
                              Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                              ^Yes slammin, please elaborate.
                              I have two e28s and zero e34s.

Nuff said.

:p
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment