Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e28 528e vs e34 525i (Cost & Reliability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/thread.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by sdub View Post
      show me an e34 that looks this cool... even if it was slower than a honda insight i'd drive it. well maybe not that slow
      That really isn't anything special
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
        I'm really having a hard time believing the e34 m50 gets better gas mileage then a e28 528e.
        I realize fueleconomy.gov isn't the best source...but here is evidence:

Fuel Economy of the 1986 BMW 5 Series. Compare the gas mileage and greenhouse gas emissions of the 1986 BMW 5 Series side-by-side with other cars and trucks

Fuel Economy of the 1992 BMW 525i. Compare the gas mileage and greenhouse gas emissions of the 1992 BMW 525i side-by-side with other cars and trucks

Also note that my 525i pulls 30MPG+ @ 75mph on the freeway...I don't even think E28 diesels did that well...so yeah...E34>E28 fuel economy wise...

Originally posted by sdub View Post
        show me an e34 that looks this cool... even if it was slower than a honda insight i'd drive it. well maybe not that slow
        That car is so-so...I'd take Wek's car over that stanced trash can.

Comment

^^^ pants..... shrinking.....

In all seriousness though, as far as looks go, both E34s and E28s can look awesome, It is hard to say which overall looks better, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
            ^^^ pants..... shrinking.....

In all seriousness though, as far as looks go, both E34s and E28s can look awesome, It is hard to say which overall looks better, at least for me.
            True, true. E28's are what started my love for BMW's. I miss my 533i almost every day. Then again...300hp E28's are ridiculously fun.

That said, the E34 is more car than the E28 could ever be. It can't replicate the old school flavor in the looks department, but smiles per mile...the E34 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

/thread.
              Dat @$$

Put it this way, e34 525, and if it gets hit and totaled, put its motor into an e30
              ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

i own an '83 528e (manual) and a '95 525i (auto). The e28 feels more nimble, but the e34 has more creature comforts. A lot less road noise in the e34. Apples and oranges in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by LEANE30 View Post
                  Put it this way, e34 525, and if it gets hit and totaled, put its motor into an e30
                  My thoughts exactly when i bought my 5er

Please remember though that M50 e34 autos get bad mpgs IMO. I am on 245/4545/r18s and trying to hypermile extensively I am lucky to get 22.5 combined.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                    My thoughts exactly when i bought my 5er

Please remember though that M50 e34 autos get bad mpgs IMO. I am on 245/4545/r18s and trying to hypermile extensively I am lucky to get 22.5 combined.
                    I think it's a balance you have to strike with cars. Too weak of an engine in too heavy a car, bad gas mileage, because you are dumping more fuel into the motor than the motor can use to get moving, and too big a motor in too light a car, bad gas mileage again, because you are enjoying the acceleration and speed by opening up the throttle more than you need to.

Of course the lighter the car the better, but matched with the right motor gets you the optimal efficiency. In general.

Comment

^ I agree

Comment

gonna hopefully pick up an 84 5sp 533i tomorrow! then i can also compare and constrat abd what not... and ive had an e34. smooth but not fun

Comment

Originally posted by carloserna View Post
                          gonna hopefully pick up an 84 5sp 533i tomorrow! then i can also compare and constrat abd what not... and ive had an e34. smooth but not fun
                          My biggest qualm w/ M30 powered E28s is the stupid power steering powered brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                            E28 all day. E34s are what ruined BMWs.
                            Whoa... What?

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                            No, E28 ///M's can look awesome. E34's look awesome any kind of way, factory or modded

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tripp View Post
                              Whoa... What?

No, E28 ///M's can look awesome. E34's look awesome any kind of way, factory or modded
                              Lol, because every e34 I find on Craigslist isnt a clapped out POS or aanything.

1983 533i - in the middle of a m30b35 swap
                              1986 528e - the DD
                              1992 325i Vert

Comment

Originally posted by B83M533W View Post
                                Lol, because every E34 I find on craigslist Isn't a clapped out POS or anything.
                                Every make and model has pos owners that dont take care of them, what I'm saying is Factory E34 VS. Factory E28 or Tastefully Modified E34 VS. Tastefully Modified E28=E34 wins on both face off's

Comment

Working...
                                X