Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e28 528e vs e34 525i (Cost & Reliability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr_Tripp View Post

No, E28 ///M's can look awesome. E34's look awesome any kind of way, factory or modded
    Apt username there, since you are obviously trippin!

How can E28 Ms look awesome, while regular E28s don't? The M5 looks like a regular E28 with bigger wheels and a lower ride height... Anyone can do that to a regular E28...

As far as E28 vs E34 looks stock and stock, that is opinion, and thus un-arguable.

Comment

e34: less stuff will break, but will cost more to fix
      e28: more stuff will break, but will be cheaper to fix

e34: prettier 'out of the box'
      e28: way fucking cooler with a few mods

e34:drives like a boat in stock form, but way better with some massaging.
      e28: same

e34: interior feels like an e30s - more modern and nicer than many new cars
      e28: interior feels old, not as well designed

Comment

This forum site is good for know more about BMW cars, if u have any quires regarding BMW u can get here..... currently i am not able to answer this question.
        -----------------------
        Top Ten classified website

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
          e34: less stuff will break, but will cost more to fix
          e28: more stuff will break, but will be cheaper to fix
          I agree with everything else you said...but not ^^^.

E34's are both cheaper and easier to find parts for. Not to mention that there are WAY more E34's in the local junk yards (at least around here). Over the years, I have spent LESS on 7 E34's than I did on two E28's. I have the record books to prove it.

Comment

I have to go with E34 myself. the cost of one vs the other is going to be pretty Academic at this point, I wouldn't even let it be a consideration in my decision.

I have always felt that the BMW E34 is the best looking sedan ever penned.

no shit, best looking 4 door car ever built. at least when it was in production.

I would personally would not have a decision to make. not to take away from E28's
            Originally Posted by ACMF74
            i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

E34 is modern, digital, DOHC, has knock sensors if you get a 93-95.
              E34 is heavier stronger, safer if you care about crash safety
              E34 can do average 22-23mpg on combined city/hwy.

if you like how a 7 series drives and want a mini 7 then you may prefer the e34
              if a extra big e30 sedan is what you desire then the e28 will be more suited.

M30 is a very thirsty engine, too bad a M50/M52 24v e28 is a DIY project like a 24v e30.
              if building a small DD for all round use a small 6 2800cc 24V DOHC e28 would be pretty awesome.

E28 does come in factory big six 24v but is not economical on fuel or upkeep.
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

You guys cant compare a 528e to a 525i(24v)

Lets talk 2.7i e28 to m50 e34 , both 5speed.

The e34 looks newer but shit tends to break faster
                The m20 engine is easy as cake to work on.

Id get both, but because I like the m20 Id go with the 28.
                I did a HG job on a 90 525i(m20) it was easy todo with tons of room , but the car was slow as pig shit.

Comment

m50 is easier to work on than m20 IMO

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                    Agreed. Plus...no valve adjustments!:up:

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                      Originally posted by MeanM50 View Post
                      Agreed. Plus...no valve adjustments!:up:
                      Have you worked on a m20? lol I once got a m20 head off at a JY in 15min.
                      Last time I did a headgasket job taking my time it was done in 5 hours. Thats also smoke breaks eating and shitting. The good thing about m20's is they are simple, very simple. IDk maybe its me since ive never worked on a 24v engine.

Even the I head conversion was easy.

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                        Last time I did a headgasket job taking my time it was done in 5 hours. Thats also smoke breaks eating and shitting. The good thing about m20's is they are simple, very simple. IDk maybe its me since ive never worked on a 24v engine.

I've owned 2 M20 cars...and the M50 is hands down better in the 'easy to fix' department. The only saving grace about the M20 is that it was kinda the BMW whore motor wise...so spares are fairly abundant and so is information and parts. ..but they are PAINFULLY slow.

With so many guys tossing out their M20's for 24V's on this site...I can't figure out why ANYONE would defend an M20 525i. It's the biggest slug of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post

This is bullshit unless everything on top of the head was pulled in advance and you just got lucky.
                          Fuck the m20 hard. i'd work on an m50 all day over a m20. M50's have timing chains and not stupid belts.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanM50 View Post
                            I've owned 2 M20 cars...and the M50 is hands down better in the 'easy to fix' department. The only saving grace about the M20 is that it was kinda the BMW whore motor wise...so spares are fairly abundant and so is information and parts. ..but they are PAINFULLY slow.

With so many guys tossing out their M20's for 24V's on this site...I can't figure out why ANYONE would defend an M20 525i. It's the biggest slug of the bunch.
                            Bingo. This is true all day erryday

Comment

M20 may be easier to do a head gasket on... but we will see. I have done an m20 headgasket and am about to do one on an e36 M50NV shortly.

M50 is way easier to take intake manifold off, etc. and the e34 chassis has SO much room... it is 3x easier than an e36

Comment

Originally posted by steve547i View Post
                                fuck the m20 hard. i'd work on an m50 all day over a m20. M50's have timing chains and not stupid belts.
                                qft.

Comment

Working...
                                X