My M5 restoration and other E34 stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My M5 restoration and other E34 stuff.

I'll keep the back story to a cliff notes version and get to the build. Picked up my '93 Lagoon Green M5 a few years back from a friend. It had 153k or so on the clock and was in much better shape then the other local cars I looked at. Since purchasing it I have done a lot of odds and ends. All maintenance items I have done thus far have been using genuine BMW parts. The short list is as follows.

Power steering system re-hose
    Modified power steering pump for SLS delete
    Valve cover gasket
    Valve adjustment
    Fluid changes on all systems
    Door handle gaskets
    Seat trim
    Euro cluster
    German OBC
    Driver's glove box
    18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Hartge 3 piece wheels
    Shock mounts front and rear
    Coolant resevior, cap and level sensor
    Euro plate filler
    Seat re-dye and new seat trim
    Respray passenger side mirror

Items previous owner installed include:
    UUC SSK
    H&R springs
    RD valved Bilstiens
    Euro lights
    Euro trim
    Dinan chip (not currently installed)
    Larger injectors (not sure exact size)

Long term plans are to make it as close to show room new as possible, coilovers, Eisenmann Race muffler, Smoked euro Hellas, rebuild the motor with a little more pep. If I keep the car as long as I would like to think I will, I would love to turbo it some day. I'm on the slow and steady build approach and so far it has paid off in my eyes.

Here is the car before I got it a couple of owners ago.

How it sat when I got it.

Valve cover gasket replacement.

New expansion tank.

Driver's glove box.

Euro cluster.

German OBC.

With the new shoes.

Shock mount replacement front and rear.

Right shock mount.

Left shock mount.

Goodie bag.

Always chasing nic nacs. Swapped out the old incorrect head light backing cover clips.
    Old.

New.

When changing the rear shock mounts (which were not looking much better than the fronts) I ran into a problem with shock mount ID. The new mounts are too large for the RD Billies on the car.

Old shock mount.

New shock mount.

A quick run into the hardware store proved fruitful. It took two different size brass tubes but the result worked perfect. I did not get the exact dimensions but the two tubes fit inside each other with no play.

I cut them a mil short so there is no load on them. They just keep the strut mount centered nicely so I could reassemble the rear strut assemblies. I think this should work just fine and it is more motivation to move on with the second suspension set up sooner then later.

Seat re-dye.

They definitely look better than before and with the cost of Leatherique I am glad I went this route as it saved me tons of time however I have come to the conclusion that while dye is great for touch up and minor blemishes, it does not come out good enough in my opinion for final restoration. I will be having my seats reupholstered in the future but this will get me down the road for the next year or two while I tackle other projects on the car.

Here is a before of the driver seat which was the worst of them. After cleaning the seat it looked even worse since the old dye would continue to come off as I scrubbed with a soft bristle brush.

So as you can kind of see in the close up pics of the driver seat it is far from perfect but significantly better than before. This is just a temporary band-aid to get me down the road so I can focus on mechanical projects.

The black kidney grills were bugging me so I swapped them out with the chrome grills on my 525i. I will purchase a new set and new grill badge when I respray the front end but this will do for now.

I also had a bottle of touch up paint from my body shop. The front end of the car looks like someone took a shotgun to it so this will help significantly. Again, I plan to have the front end reshot since the lower lip is hideous but for now another significant improvement has been made.

Before section.

And after section.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by SpecRaceM5; 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM.

what a beautiful car. I will own one of these in the future. Looks great!
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Thank! It's a real joy...when it's not being a complete bitch that is. ;)

Comment

all I have to say is WOW! to those seats. I wish mine were like that.

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
          all I have to say is WOW! to those seats. I wish mine were like that.
          Thank you! I think it was $200 well spent. I'm really looking forward to soft new leather though. This is definitely a huge improvement for now though.

Comment

My dd is a 92 525i. It will soon hit 200k miles and I want to show it a little love by handling a few interior issues it has. On my old 325is I had a black interior that I started swapping over to houndstooth. I still have the shift boot and parking brake boot but the door cards were sold a while back. Even with the black leather seats I loved the warmth the houndstooth brought to the interior and I'm thinking about doing a similar partial houndstooth in the 525i. Tonight I put my old shift boot in and will look at modifying the parking brake boot to work as well. If the material is not big enough to use in the E34 I will have to make another one. If I end up liking the small accents after a couple months I am thinking of re-wrapping the door card inserts in houndstooth to finish off the look. Sorry for the shitty pic but let me know what you think.

Comment

Tackled a bunch of small projects this weekend for both cars and made some new discoveries. First off the 525 needs shock mounts front and rear. :( I was hearing a squeak from the rear of the car while driving and decided to give them all a look since I recently had to do them in the M5. Parts will be ordered on Monday. I found that Natur leather M5 syle shift surrounds were still available in very limited quantities so I picked one up. I swapped my dad for the black one he has in his 540 since his interior is tan and I am just going to do a color change on the part anyways. For now I put it in the 525 but since the M5 part is cracked and old I will swap them at some point and do a color change or re-wrap on both.

I collected some houndstooth fabric for a past project and never ended up using it so I got it out of storage today and started cleaning. The cloth is from one and a half back seats of an E30. Should be enough to do my door card inserts for the 525 and the parking brake boot to match my shift boot. After soaking the first section of cloth in water and woolite overnight the result was perfect for what I need.

On to the M5. Installed new fender liners with hardware and expanding nuts. The old ones had major cracks at nearly all mounting holes as do most of them out there I would assume. It's so nice to have everything brand new!

One of the expanding nuts for my under tray was missing and the temporary fix was.... well temporary. Since BMW doesn't tend to catalog those sort of fasteners in the area where the part is on their ETK it requires a little bit of guess work. I picked two different part numbers that seemed close to what I needed and ended up with a winner!

Finally I am polishing both the headlights on the M5 and 525i. I ordered 2 sets of cross hairs from Guten Parts and a couple cans of SEM trim paint to give them the Smoked Hella treatment. Today is just the clean up stage. Here is a before pic.

I have 2 more compounds to use before they are finished though. That is all for today. Much more to come the beginning of the year.

Comment

This was Alex/chameleon's old car? Down in San Diego? Then I think some dude in riverside bought it? Nice man. I miss my e34 m5. My favorite BMW ever. When it wasn't sucking my wallet dry. Keep up the good work.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, Alex did own this car at one point. I actually remember seeing the car at a Fusion meet in Clarimont Mesa back when I had my '91 M5. Probably around 2003. Who would have known I would end up with it. :) Jack up in Hemet got it after that I think. That is who I got it from. I have a 3 ring binder full of records that can verify.

Comment

Showing some Hartge love

Bad ass M5!

Last edited by mtechnik; 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM.

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Love the 17" 1 piece! Maybe some day for the 525i...

Comment

Stunning car,,,

i like the EURO dashboard and BC,, if i was living in the states ,, and driving a EU car,, it would be the first upgrade i would do ,,

ps,, great seat treatment
                        Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                        ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                        E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Originally posted by Alpina View Post
                          Stunning car,,,

i like the EURO dashboard and BC,, if i was living in the states ,, and driving a EU car,, it would be the first upgrade i would do ,,

ps,, great seat treatment
                          Thanks! The euro cluster is so much cleaner in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
                            Love the 17" 1 piece! Maybe some day for the 525i...
                            :) I hope you find a set for your 525i.

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by mtechnik View Post
                              :) I hope you find a set for your 525i.
                              It is low on the list of priorities but if a set came up for the right price I wouldn't hesitate. My mom's touring has 16" 1 piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X