No announcement yet.

Project e34 525i touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is list of thing i need for the 5 speed swap. note that i work at a parts store so alot of these prices may seem cheap
    if you think of somthing im missing let me know
    Last edited by FireFight; 09-26-2016, 01:38 PM.
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

first chunk of 5 speed parts came in.
      still waiting on a couple more deliveries and a 5 speed car to go to the junk yard
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Badass. I've been really wanting to build an E34T with a manual trans. Nice work!

Bahama Beige E23 Project
        Bluebird Bus Conversion
        New Oregon Trail

Comment

i'm doing a 5-speed swap on my touring next weekend. looks like your list is pretty good.

i'd consider re-sealing the trans and diff while you have them out, so you don't get a leak soon after. and maybe being picky and trying to get and LSD while you are at it. the fun of a 5 speed will increase even more with being able to control it!

you may also want to grab the exhaust bracket that is attached to the 5 speed on the donor car. for the m60 cars, it's different. not sure about m50 cars, but it wouldnt hurt to have it.

Comment

well this was being daily driven by my old lady, but on her way back home on i-5, it wouldn't shift in to 4th, so she had to drive at 55mph. needless to say she doesn't want to drive it anymore. so we traded and i gave her my e30 because i only drive 5 miles a day.
            which means things are gonna get done alot sooner.
            I have been restoring a VW bug convertible for my boss, that should be done soon, so ill have a decent pile of side cash to buy all my 5 speed parts.
            but while i wait for that...
            Im not a fan of chrome. so we took a nice sunny day off from work and did some work.

i masked off all the chrome, which there is a lot less then e30s so that was nice

had a couple "godamit" spots, nothing a bit of thinner wont take out

and bam! good bye chrome
            i also got a replacement stereo because my lady got a MP# cassette stuck in the factory one, but while putting it on i think i blew the amp fuse.

more to come.
            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
              i'm doing a 5-speed swap on my touring next weekend. looks like your list is pretty good.

i'd consider re-sealing the trans and diff while you have them out, so you don't get a leak soon after. and maybe being picky and trying to get and LSD while you are at it. the fun of a 5 speed will increase even more with being able to control it!

you may also want to grab the exhaust bracket that is attached to the 5 speed on the donor car. for the m60 cars, it's different. not sure about m50 cars, but it wouldn't hurt to have it.
              thanks for the suggestions, depending on where im at with my auto and if i have time to reseal it while i still drive it as an auto.bu t if im up shit creek i will have to toss it in and slowly fix what i can after

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
              Badass. I've been really wanting to build an E34T with a manual trans. Nice work!
              thanks, I have always wanted a touring. i also enjoy your thread so far on the diesel
              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
              92 525it 5 speed.
              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Alright, I haven't updated in awhile because I am in the middle of a lot of things with the wagon and I don't want to talk about redoing the headliner or the 5 speed swap until it's totally finished. But I have been doing some random stuff

Picked up a mtech2 wheel (e36 fitment) that was in need of some help as well as random bits to try to smooth the idle and rid some error codes

I tossed on a "Wheel Skin" to clean up the look a bit. Not factory, but good and I like the smaller diameter compared and the sporty look. Also no airbag is nice

Finally got around to swapping out the level sender, it threw a code randomly and the coolant was always fine.

The CPS was a bitch!

I found the bolt to be totally rounded and the only way I could get it to finally come out is to beat the hell of it till I could cram a Allen in there and finally get it off, by the time I was done the CPS was destroyed.

Swapped out the fuel filter, that took like 10mins and was disappointed to find with that and the CPS my idle still is a bit wonky.

Next the temp sender and then coils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Looks nice! Lots of potential. I 5 speed swapped mine about 5 years ago and swapped in an S50 2 years later. Lots of fun.

Good luck with the coolant level sensor. My last one lasted less than a week!

1989 325iC Alpine
                  1985 745i Cosmosblau
                  1995 525iT S50/5! Alpineweiss III
                  2004 Acura TL NBP
                  1990 325iC gone but not forgotten
                  1998.5 ///M3 Technoviolet

Comment

I always forget you have a touring......
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Moar updates. Kthx
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I'm not good when it comes to taking pics as I go but here is what we did last weekend

So yeah 5 speed swap in 12hrs. Every went smooth besides the ducking pedal cluster took for ever. I kept the 4.10 in there for now but it's a bit ridiculous so I'm on the hunt for a lsd in a low gear range.

Also

A lot of people talk shit about JOMs but not building a track car, I know this will never handle like my e21, but to have it be low and look good.
                        More this weekend

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                        92 525it 5 speed.
                        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

curious to hear if the JOM's ride is any good.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                            curious to hear if the JOM's ride is any good.
                            I got the fronts in, I took out billi sports and lowtec 40mm drop springs, to be honest, it feels about the same. I'm get more "spring pop" on turning, so i bought new mounts and spring pads to see if that solves the problem. I didnt lower it crazy, i think lowtech 60mm drop springs would put it lower if not the same and you wouldn't have spring pop and you could keep billis.

the main reason i bought the kit, besides it was cheap was to rid the shitty sagging SLS, which i will be starting tonight.

the front sleeve i imagine can be bored to run the billis, which is my plan if and when the JOM struts blow.

I cant say i like the e34 for its handling, id rather have a 3 if i wanted a fun corner slaughtering ride, but for a nice daily the set up seems to be perfect.

alot of people talk shit about JOM but talking to Austin! he was saying even on his ground control set up he has spring pop, so i think its always gonna be a slight issue with coilovers.
                            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                            92 525it 5 speed.
                            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Project e34 525i touring

Well my plan was to install the rear Coilovers sunday, but after I got the fronts dialed in I decided to go shooting instead. So my buddy, his wife, my girlfriend and I piled in the touring a drove it about 80miles up in the sticks.
                              (not my garage, we cleaned up after our selfs)
                              The touring did great and no issues until I turned down my road......
                              As we turned down my road, by buddy asks if anyone else sees smoke. I didn't until I started to go in reverse in to my spot and I saw a giant cloud of smoke behind my car. Turns out on the back country road, with all the people in her she blew the rear suspension hose.

So lesson I learned, don't put things off

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                              92 525it 5 speed.
                              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Sick EMPI hat, dude.
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X