opinions welcom: best year of the e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    84-85 door handles are ribbed underneath for extra pleasure.
    Thats what keeps me cuming back to mine
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Thats what keeps me cuming back to mine
      That's why I like Alpine II e30s. Don't have to wash them as often, it all kinda blends in.

Comment

I believe 89s were also the last year of pop out windows and manual sunroofs (less weight than electric because race car). If you like plastic bumper cars 89 is the year to have imho.

That said I have an 89 and love it but also want an early to do a eurobumper swap
        ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
        Originally posted by blunttech
        I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
        Build Thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post

No Air bag
          Elipsiods
          big, sexy alum bumpers
          motronic 1.3
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

You can't retrofit a 153 into a later car.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Yes you can. It plugs right in. The pinouts are identicle.

Also, as soon as you chip it, any difference in stock tunes means nothing.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post

No Air bag
                Elipsiods
                plastic bumpers
                motronic 1.3
                /thread
                My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  Yes you can. It plugs right in. The pinouts are identical.

Also, as soon as you chip it, any difference in stock tunes means nothing.
                  Not true. I mean, the first part may be true (my mistake) but the second part isn't. The later ECU uses more fuel and has less "pep" than the earlier one, even chipped. I've tried probably 8 ECUs in my car for at least 100 miles apiece and the 153s are always the best. From what I gather, it has something to do with the architecture(?) of the ECU. The earlier ones have a more abrupt on/off of the injectors on and off throttle, but have better part-throttle performance and use much less fuel. Stock vs. stock, the earlier ECU could get as much as 31mpg and the late one never got much above 23mpg. The chipped late ECUs were either the same or worse with regard to mileage, and never felt as responsive as a stock 153.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

I say 89, all the good stuff without the airbags!
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

1983-84.

Lightest car = good times.
                      -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                      -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                        Not true. I mean, the first part may be true (my mistake) but the second part isn't. The later ECU uses more fuel and has less "pep" than the earlier one, even chipped. I've tried probably 8 ECUs in my car for at least 100 miles apiece and the 153s are always the best. From what I gather, it has something to do with the architecture(?) of the ECU. The earlier ones have a more abrupt on/off of the injectors on and off throttle, but have better part-throttle performance and use much less fuel. Stock vs. stock, the earlier ECU could get as much as 31mpg and the late one never got much above 23mpg. The chipped late ECUs were either the same or worse with regard to mileage, and never felt as responsive as a stock 153.
                        Im sorry, but thats bs. The 153 is known for making a couple hp more stock, but nothing else you said is even remotely true.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post

IIRC the 173 is an upgrade to the 153 and is a simple plug and play
                          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Not really a year but any early model euro. Bumpers are chrome but dont stick out a million miles. No third brake light, and best of all small tails but any early model has those.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Fwiw, my 153 on my 2.7i always got just below 23 with a normal mix of driving. Didn't notice a difference when the 173 took a couple of trips.

I took it a bit easier on my now chipped 173 ecu and it got 24.9 according to my last fill up.

88-89 325i's are definitely the sweet spot of everything, but that's probably why they always seem to cost an extra 3k (well 325i's in general). Maybe if diving board rears could be made to look good, or if the earliest models came with disk brakes, they would all be closer together.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                Im sorry, but thats bs. The 153 is known for making a couple hp more stock, but nothing else you said is even remotely true.
                                Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

IIRC the 173 is an upgrade to the 153 and is a simple plug and play

That's what I always thought, until I tried a 173, a 527, a chipped 525, a 380, two stock 153s, and a chipped 153. In addition, the chipped 153 runs on 87 octane and is my favorite of the bunch.

Comment

Working...
                                X