Swapped new m20, ran shortly now no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapped new m20, ran shortly now no spark

A couple days ago I swapped out my ruined m20 and dropped in a new one. I didn't open the motor up, just new cooling system and some other maintenance items. When I first started the car up, it ran fine but I turned it off after a few seconds because it was open headers and it was late. After that, it wouldn't start. There is no spark.

I've tried 3 different coils with no change in results and been testing directly from the coil HT lead to eliminate cap and rotor as causes. Coils test positive and receives power. The main relay tested good as well as far as I can tell. Key in the on position ICV hums, everything seems to be getting power. I've tried 2 different ECUs - the one from the car and a known working one pulled from a salvage yard. Ground from oil pan to chassis and valve cover to chassis are new wires and firmly attached.

At this point, I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated in regards to what the issue may be!
    1988 E30 325iC
    sigpic

Check your CKP. If the PCM doesn't see the CKP signal then you will get no fuel or spark.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
      Check your CKP. If the PCM doesn't see the CKP signal then you will get no fuel or spark.
      I've checked and tried 2 crankshaft position sensors and 2 pulse sensors as well. One crank sensor reads 555 ohms the other reads 570.

EDIT: I also smell fuel when I crank so I'm assuming it's getting fuel.
      1988 E30 325iC
      sigpic

Comment

Ok, when you say the coil tests ok, I'm assuming you mean when ohming it, not that you are getting spark out of the coil?
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, when you say the coil tests ok, I'm assuming you mean when ohming it, not that you are getting spark out of the coil?
          Correct. When I check the resistance it reads slightly higher than what the Bentley says, but I'm not using a super high quality multimeter (it is brand new though) and it's within approximately 10%. No spark from the coil though.
          1988 E30 325iC
          sigpic

Comment

Ok, in that case I would try to check coil drive. Take your DMM and go from ground to the negative terminal of the coil. Check the Voltage both while cranking and when not cranking the engine. Then check the voltage of the battery while cranking the engine. What are these three numbers?
            sigpic

Comment

Ok, in that case I would try to check coil drive. Take your DMM and go from ground to the negative terminal of the coil. Check the Voltage both while cranking and when not cranking the engine. Then check the voltage of the battery while cranking the engine. What are these three numbers?
              Voltage from ground to negative terminal while key is on: 12.1 V
              Voltage from ground to negative terminal while cranking: 2.5 V
              Voltage across battery while cranking: 11.4 V

EDIT: I also just tried connecting an LED from the negative terminal of the coil to the positive terminal of the battery and it didn't illuminate when cranking. So I think that's a pretty good indication of the issue. Not sure how to proceed from here.
              Last edited by Malcolm206; 06-20-2017, 02:22 PM.
              1988 E30 325iC
              sigpic

Comment

Actually, all those numbers are about what you would expect. Your coil wire could be the problem. Pull off the coil wire and see if you have some sort of jumper wire you can stick down the coil tower and check spark with that. (you might get shocked if you hold it, but it's not dangerous.) Or if you have a known good coil wire somewhere try that.
                sigpic

Comment

Actually, all those numbers are about what you would expect. Your coil wire could be the problem. Pull off the coil wire and see if you have some sort of jumper wire you can stick down the coil tower and check spark with that. (you might get shocked if you hold it, but it's not dangerous.) Or if you have a known good coil wire somewhere try that.
                  I used a spare spark plug wire and a spark plug to do that, no spark.

I also tested positive battery to negative ignition coil with the key off 12 V, key on position 0 V and 0.5 v while cranking. Not sure if that's helpful
                  1988 E30 325iC
                  sigpic

Comment

Measuring voltage between the + and neg side of the coil wont tell you much. cause the way a coil works is that the negative side is grounded by the computer to cause a spark event. As long as the resistance of the two windings is close to what you expect you can rule out the coil.

If you have just swapped this thing in I would be looking at simple things first, electrical plugs not plugged in properly, loose connections. How does the signal get from the ecu to the coil? that would be the first plug to check.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                      Measuring voltage between the + and neg side of the coil wont tell you much. cause the way a coil works is that the negative side is grounded by the computer to cause a spark event. As long as the resistance of the two windings is close to what you expect you can rule out the coil.

If you have just swapped this thing in I would be looking at simple things first, electrical plugs not plugged in properly, loose connections. How does the signal get from the ecu to the coil? that would be the first plug to check.
                      I've unplugged and replugged all the connections, they all seem fine. Grounds seem fine as well.
                      1988 E30 325iC
                      sigpic

Comment

when you tested the spark plug did you put the metal outside of the spark plug to ground? it wont spark if you just have the spark plug hanging out of the spark plug wire, the spark plug itself needs to be grounded. it usually grounds through the head when you screw it in.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                          when you tested the spark plug did you put the metal outside of the spark plug to ground? it wont spark if you just have the spark plug hanging out of the spark plug wire, the spark plug itself needs to be grounded. it usually grounds through the head when you screw it in.
                          Yeah, I even tried grounding to several different locations with no results.
                          Last edited by Malcolm206; 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM.
                          1988 E30 325iC
                          sigpic

Comment

Are you sure the wire you used is good? If it is not, your cap and rotor could be bad.
                            sigpic

Comment

Are you sure the wire you used is good? If it is not, your cap and rotor could be bad.
                              I'm bypassing the cap and rotor by testing directly from the coil. The wires I've tried are used but worked when they were installed on my car prior to being replaced without any issues.
                              1988 E30 325iC
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X