Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Mounts- Longer Studs?

Weird one:

Looking for some rear shock mounts with longer studs. All of them seem to be 18mm in length. I'm trying to bolt up a rear strut brace + reinforcement plates... don't ask lol. Any suggestions?

Regular/Upgraded strut mounts for reference (normal sized studs): https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-e46-884024550

Thanks.
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

I don’t see why you would need both the plates and the brace?

The plates serve as reinforcement for the shock to the actual body, but the brace uses the force that can be induced laterally, vertically, or torsionally to each other shock to add rigitity and reduce any damage to the shocks.

Just run the brace, or the plates. I doubt you would see a difference unless you’re building a crazy track car, but in that case you’d be building a cage attached to the rear shocks anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
      I don’t see why you would need both the plates and the brace?

The plates serve as reinforcement for the shock to the actual body, but the brace uses the force that can be induced laterally, vertically, or torsionally to each other shock to add rigitity and reduce any damage to the shocks.

Just run the brace, or the plates. I doubt you would see a difference unless you’re building a crazy track car, but in that case you’d be building a cage attached to the rear shocks anyways.
      I guess you're right, both is overkill... But if you know of any long-studded mounts pls tell! :p

On a side note, wouldn't one want a cage attached to the frame of the body (preferably frame rails), not the weak shock area?
      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

The studs should just press out, and you can press in longer ones to your hearts content.

The cage attaches to the weak shock area to turn it into a strong shock area:)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          The studs should just press out, and you can press in longer ones to your hearts content.
          Hmm, I thought the studs were welded or something. Or maybe they're just bolts?

Will have to double check.
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
            I guess you're right, both is overkill... But if you know of any long-studded mounts pls tell! :p

On a side note, wouldn't one want a cage attached to the frame of the body (preferably frame rails), not the weak shock area?
            yes, but most proper track cages also tie into the rear shock towers as well.

you can run a true coilover in the rear if you go this route.

Comment

Working...
            X