Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camaro Shocks

Just thought I would post up my swap to 82-02 Camaro rear shocks. Sorry for crappy iPhone pics.

Took about 15min total. I decided to use KYB AGX adjustable shocks as my work is a dealer for these and I cant say no to the pricing vs quality.
    If these handle well, I might just put them in 85 Camaro Z28!

Compare lengths vs the previous KYB Gas-A-Just I was running. (great shock btw)

Bushing widths:

Custom bushing. Its a male pipe to pipe adapter, 1/2" pipe (maybe 3/8 pipe?) I believe, will have to double check. The 12mm bolt fits perfectly inside!
    I used a vise to install and keep it centered.

Installed, adjuster is completely accessible, tho a little hard to see without getting right underneath it.
    Last edited by TG Goose; 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM.
    1999 540iA - Daily Driver

Good to know.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

SWEET, good to know people trying this, do you have part number for AGX? How was installation on top mount bolt, the threads look like different lengths?
      WTB: Diamond Schwartz Hood

Comment

I recently did this and it was a snap. I used a hydraulic press to 1. push the Camaro bushings out of the shocks, 2. force the e30 sleeves into the Camaro bushings, 3. push the Camaro bushings/e30 sleeves back into the shocks. Zero issues with the threads and nut up top, although I did have to drop the floor jack down to compress the suspension a little before the threads would come up through the upper mounts.

Comment

Anyone have the specs on total compressed length? Wondering as i usually bottom out bilstein sports.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Intradasting, Is this a good replacement for people that are low? I notice that my KYB's(same as you took out) bottom out alot.

Comment

i'm still so pissed this works... i had old kyb's for my camaro laying around for YEARS that kept staring at and thinking to myself it would work but never put much effort into it. eventually i sold them for $20 because i have qa1's on the camaro... not a month or two after i finally sell them i see these posts.. mother cock monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                Anyone have the specs on total compressed length? Wondering as i usually bottom out bilstein sports.
                Originally posted by TheGreenVert View Post
                Intradasting, Is this a good replacement for people that are low? I notice that my KYB's(same as you took out) bottom out alot.
                My trailing arm bottoms out before my Bilstein Sports do, idk how you guys are bottoming the shocks out
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

OP, comments on ride quality and adjust differences plz! Very interested in these.
                  Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
                  Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
                  Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                  Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

also interested in the ride quality, do they feel stiffer the billy hd's?
                    84 318i drift car
                    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
                    96 e320
                    63 plymouth valiant

Comment

I'm sooooo glad I did this. The ride quality of the rear is so much better, i'm using the "4" setting (shocks go 1-9 with 1 as slow and 9 as fast).
                      The KYB part number is: 743019. These are a total fit, they only thing I did was toss in an insert to fit the M12 bolt, or you could press out the E30 bushing and press into the camaro shock. The top mount fit perfectly, slid right in, tons of threads to grab onto.

wait till you see what I am about to attempt this weekend on the front end, KYB adjustable inserts from a 1991 MR2.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Goose View Post
                        I'm sooooo glad I did this. The ride quality of the rear is so much better, i'm using the "4" setting (shocks go 1-9 with 1 as slow and 9 as fast).
                        The KYB part number is: 743019. These are a total fit, they only thing I did was toss in an insert to fit the M12 bolt, or you could press out the E30 bushing and press into the camaro shock. The top mount fit perfectly, slid right in, tons of threads to grab onto.

wait till you see what I am about to attempt this weekend on the front end, KYB adjustable inserts from a 1991 MR2.
                        what spring rates do you run on your car?
                        84 318i drift car
                        04 mk4 gti 1.8t
                        96 e320
                        63 plymouth valiant

Comment

springs rates unknown. They are JOM springs I picked up from craigslist.

Comment

Please take tons of measurements on those mr2 inserts. From what i've read they are 2" shorter then e30 inserts.
                            Last edited by einstein57; 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I pulled apart my strut to use the MR2 shocks, but I forgot my housings are 45mm and not 51mm! They are identical to 86+ E30(51mm) except they are 4" shorter. You have to press the strut bearing out and press in a new bearing, I'll post up a write up. I'm cruising the junkyards this weekend to see if I can find some 51mm strut housings.

Comment

Working...
                              X