E30 only starts without fuel pump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 only starts without fuel pump.

Weird issue I'm having here. My 89 320i has been having starting issues ever since I bought it a year ago. Runs and drives great. It will stall sometimes at lights as soon as I go for the gas, but a simple start and some gas and it fires right back up. Super annoying though.

It had maybe an 80% successful start rate up until recently. Cold starts were the best. If I had been driving it recently and tried to start it warm, it would take 2 or 3 starts to get it going, then would be fine. If it started fine when warm, it would stall on me later down the road, and like I said, start right back up. I recently started adding throttle on warm starts to avoid starting 2 to 3 times. For the most part, it solve that issue, tough my RPMs would drop below 500 after the initial fire up sometimes when starting warm, but i thought the issue was manageable.

Well about two weeks ago, I went to start the car Cold, and it quit as soon as it fired. So then I went to start again, well it started but ran super rough, which sometimes would happen, so I gave it a little gas and she was running well. So I get out of the car to throw something away, and it cuts off immediately. Tried to start again and she wasn't having it. Been dead ever since.

I should add too that anytime the car stalls, it shuts off fast, doenst sputter, cough, struggle, just turns off almost as if I turned the key off. Been troubleshooting this the whole time but this recent bit of shooting has me stumped.

I started today by disconnecting my fuel feed line to the rail to see if the pump was pumping on start, and it was so I connected that back. For reasons I can't really remember, I decided to disconnect my fuel pump and try starting it, and it fired up. Weird. So then I connected it, no start. Disco'd it again, started right up and ran for as long as fuel was present in the rail. So I went back inside and was texting a friend for his thoughts, and then tried it with the pump connected and it started, ran, and drove. WTF???

Could my pump be drawing too much amperage, not allowing spark? Shorting somting out? This problem seems intermittent.

89 320i Euro spec.

I've replaced the CPS, blue temp sensor, swapped fuel pump relay-not replaced, new ICV, replaced AFM with newer unit-not new or refurb, new ignited coil, new distributor, rotor. Most of this stuff needed to be replaced anyway, but diddnt fix the issue.

I also have videos to post later. Any help would be great. :)

Did you verify that you have fuel flowing when the pump is on? I suspect that you have a clog somewhere in the fuel system. Filter good?

Comment

Yes. There is plenty of fuel at the rail. Like I said, with the feed line disconnected from the rail, fuel flowed freely. And plenty of it. I guess I should have specified a bit better, it will only start with the fuel pump electrically disconnected. When I connect back up, no start. I tried this three times each (disconnected and connected) after that, I was going to see what happens if I were to connect it after successfully starting, or at least pulling the pump fuse, so I cranked it with the pump conneted to pressurise the rail, but to my surprise, it fired right up.

So I parked it in the garage and went to work. But I'll keep troubleshooting further. I just want my baby fixed.

Comment

Have you checked your IAC? that may be a good place to start. If it is intermittent, it would cause most of the problems you are talking about.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X