Looking for a new Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    Funny thing about the E39/E90 - they're basically the same size. The E90 does drive like it's smaller than it really is...
    Having gone from an E39 to an E90 I agree. Creature comforts notwithstanding, I really preferred the driving feel of my E39 over my E90.

while true, the 330i tends to come loaded - where the 325/328 are often stripper models. They 325/328 also get weaker transmissions and usually smaller brakes/wheels/tires, and the non-sport seats are total crap (you can get them on the other cars, but it was an extra option).
    I think this is a non-issue for LCI (2009+) cars since the 328i was the top of the line non-M 3er - especially the ones with (M)Sport Packages.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

About five years ago I decided to pickup a manual '07 Forester Sports XT. It's been a great car overall. Interior is nothing to write home about but it works, has plenty of space, great in the snow, gets good gas milage, retains its value very well, is reliable, quick, lesbian, tows my trailer, etc

I put about 10K a year on it over five years and it is still worth what I paid for it. Turbo Subarus are less susceptible to HG failures than NA Scoobys, which is a bonus (main difference: MLS vs single layer HGs). Timing belt interval is decent (105K).

Cons: Meh interior, bloated prices, burns oil, not as 'nice' of a car overall as an E90

I'd recommend a Forester '06+..... that or an Outback XT, WRX hatch, etc.

Things I've done from 110K-160K

-Tbelt/WP/Tensioner
      -Ball joint
      -Used OE axle
      -Front endlinks
      -Spark Plugs
      -Thermostat
      -Upper coolant hose
      -Rear wheel bearing
      -Rear pads/rotors
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        About five years ago I decided to pickup a manual '07 Forester Sports XT. It's been a great car overall. Interior is nothing to write home about but it works, has plenty of space, great in the snow, gets good gas milage, retains its value very well, is reliable, quick, lesbian, tows my trailer, etc

I put about 10K a year on it over five years and it is still worth what I paid for it. Turbo Subarus are less susceptible to HG failures than NA Scoobys, which is a bonus (main difference: MLS vs single layer HGs). Timing belt interval is decent (105K).

Cons: Meh interior, bloated prices, burns oil, not as 'nice' of a car overall as an E90

I'd recommend a Forester '06+..... that or an Outback XT, WRX hatch, etc.

Things I've done from 110K-160K

-Tbelt/WP/Tensioner
        -Ball joint
        -Used OE axle
        -Front endlinks
        -Spark Plugs
        -Thermostat
        -Upper coolant hose
        -Rear wheel bearing
        -Rear pads/rotors

Comment

I didn't know if I should've thrown that in the pros or cons
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            I didn't know if I should've thrown that in the pros or cons
            You had it in the right place, and I am sure we can all agree on that point.

Comment

My dad just picked up a 535XI E61, its been fantastic and the practicality is ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                Same engine in 325/28/30 just a different intake and tune
                True on the engine, but if you are not modding you can feel the difference, the parts to make the conversion are about $1000 new.

And as Nando said there are other things to it, brakes, interior etc.

The E90 drives way more sporty then the E39 did, but if you want a more comfortable hauler I like the E39 (E38 Sport personally) the best. Eats up the miles handles well and looks great.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  Having gone from an E39 to an E90 I agree. Creature comforts notwithstanding, I really preferred the driving feel of my E39 over my E90.

I think this is a non-issue for LCI (2009+) cars since the 328i was the top of the line non-M 3er - especially the ones with (M)Sport Packages.
                  Wasnt the 335i the top of the line non M?

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                    Wasnt the 335i the top of the line non M?
                    That's definitely true. I assumed we were discussing NA models, though that wasn't necessarily specified.

Comment

nah, LCI cars were stripped even further. Yeah, you they LED turn signals - but no keyholes to unlock the trunk, no netting in the back seats, most of them got a base stereo (which was utterly horrible), and all kinds of other things BMW did to cut costs after the 2008 market crash.

I find my E90 to be pretty comfortable personally but every time I see an E39, the feel really similar. FWIW, they also had the same designer..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nah, LCI cars were stripped even further. Yeah, you they LED turn signals - but no keyholes to unlock the trunk, no netting in the back seats, most of them got a base stereo (which was utterly horrible), and all kinds of other things BMW did to cut costs after the 2008 market crash.

I find my E90 to be pretty comfortable personally but every time I see an E39, the feel really similar. FWIW, they also had the same designer..
                        Yea forgot they got rid of the Logic 7 that was standard on the 330i. I dont even know if it was an option anymore on the 328, I think you had base and HK . The Logic 7 was pretty good.

I think the comfort level on the E90 depends on how it was spec'd I had the sport package with the 18" wheels and the horrible run-flats, which I switched out, but the ride as definitely harsher then it is on my E93 with 19" wheels. Its possible that the EDC helps that though.

Comment

Maybe it's because mine was the first year of LCI, but it has a trunk keyhole, netting on the backs of the front seats, the best factory stereo I've had in a BMW (until last week) complete with subs under the front seats, split folding rear seats, etc.

I just realized I should probably ask more for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                            Yea forgot they got rid of the Logic 7 that was standard on the 330i. I dont even know if it was an option anymore on the 328, I think you had base and HK . The Logic 7 was pretty good.
                            Mine has S663A Radio BMW Professional and S676A HiFi Speaker System. Not the Logic 7 (because no iDrive) but not the base either - mid-grade I'm guessing...? The '10 Msport I passed on had the base stereo in it and it was indeed pretty mediocre; it didn't even have tweeters opposite the door mirrors.

Comment

Maybe it's because mine was the first year of LCI, but it has a trunk keyhole, netting on the backs of the front seats, the best factory stereo I've had in a BMW (until last week) complete with subs under the front seats, split folding rear seats, etc.

I just realized I should probably ask more for it...
                              I think you got the goldie lox model, you should have asked more:) I mean you had chestnut brown that alone is worth more!

Comment

Well, I don't have a proper for sale ad yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X