X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drive it like a grandma until I'm in the twisties
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

i have to look down at the tach to try to keep shifts at 2k or i'll end up going way too fast.
      its sorta sucks to daily drive because of how i guess "fast" and smooth it is.

it's kinda like a bike where youre going way too fast way too easily.
      very hard to keep it at the speed limit because it feels like 20mph.

so, i try to drive it like a normal car but it begs me to beat the shit out of it
      it has turned into a weekend night car that gets about 9mpg and that's fine.

Comment

I drive my e30's like Gary Busey on a cocaine bender

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
          You need to read the e30 driver's manual :) In there, BMW recommends some "spirited driving"
          I've had several m20's that were "abused" and drifted, and one that was babied all its life from a mint condition car that was kept pristine. Let me tell you, the engine that was babied looked atrocious on the inside. Heavy deposits on the cylinder head, valves, and piston tops that take a steel brush and a lot of elbow grease to remove. The "abused" engines showed more neglect from more bearing wear and the heavy oil residue/sludge in the crankcase from infrequent oil changes, but the combustion chambers, valves, and piston tops were clean as a whistle. Slightly discolored, but no buildup or deposits.

My recommendation from my experience? Change the oil often, drive slowly while cold, but once warm, don't be afraid to rev them out and drive them hard to help blow out and clean the cylinders.
          Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

There is a little red light on the megasquirt that shows when its in its warmup routine. Once that light is off, i'm in race mode.

seriously though, i drive it like a normal person. Few squirts here and there when appropriate. Dont over think it all, drive it however you like...once its warm.

Comment

i am disqualified in this post as i drive an auto...
              but with that said. i roll through the gears here and there getting the tach up to over 5 between 2nd and 3rd for a little extra excitement.
              yeah it's an auto but the little fucker goes and i haven't had a problem yet.
              i've driven daily and hard respectfully for the last almost 18 years...
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              '90 325i sedan daily driven
              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

It's a car, it's my car.
                If I feel like driving like racecarman, I do. Fortunately I have an M20B20, so nobody notices. And I shift when it asks to be shifted.
                If I feel like just getting the groceries and a 2-4 and getting home, I'll drive that way, and shift when it seems like a good idea to shift.
                I'm happy, car happy, all good.
                Of course it's winter now, so car sleeping.

Comment

i drive an e30 hard because that's why i drive an e30.

Comment

i only drive my e30 at night or on an overcast day. this way no 1 can see how bad the paint work is.

i cruise at under 3000rp, for around 15km and then i do 35-50km of highway driving

Comment

Norman is a reckless driver whose addiction to driving fast has gotten him in 4 accidents in the last 3 years. Will comedian Nick Stevens and the Driver Reha...

Comment

WOT every time I drive!! It's an M42 so I have to go WOT to merge on the freeway but whatevs

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
                          WOT every time I drive!! It's an M42 so I have to go WOT to merge on the freeway but whatevs
                          Nice bump, also add 4.44s and your problems go away.

Comment

I got my car painted and put a ton of work into it. All I could think the whole time was "this thing is going to be too nice to drive. Im never going to drive it". When I was finally able to move it from a remote garage space to my house, I was so nervous I drove 100ft back from everyone to avoid rock chips. By the end of that ride my viewpoint had changed completely. Instead of being nervous to drive it and have it get damaged ,I was excited, I couldn't stop taking it out for rides. I put off doing small projects just to make sure it was always available for a cruise.

At the end of the day these are just sweet driving machines, and the joy of driving one outweighs the anxiety of having single rock chip for me. And if something breaks, fix it, that's the best part about these cars
                            1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                            1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Nice bump, also add 4.44s and your problems go away.
                              I've been looking for a 4.44/4.45 lsd for a while now. I'm willing to sacrifice more freeway rpms for an autocross advantage.

And its always better to bump an existing thread than start a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X