88 E30 AutoX Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean View Post
    Disconnect rear sway and try again. Coil overs just fine in Autocross especially with sticky tires.

What is or was your specific setup?
    110% correct, I laid out an STi a handful of WRXs and a new Z06 vette owner at an SCCA event. I was 2 seconds faster than most of listed.

GC coils, F&R tower braces all season tires with a stock ETA. Let me tell you what after I laid down a 35 second run when those others were getting high 37-39. I had people all over my car when it was cooling off for the next run.

To me suspension is everything and coilovers are FAR better than spring setups.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

^ $400 gc kit?

Comment

Yep on cut/welded strut housings + good shocks and camber plates etc. tires and the rest of the suspension.

Don't forget seat time... the more the better.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Boris3 View Post
          Coilovers tends to be the better approach: ground control for low budget, AST and others for higher. H&R race will be stiffer than the Eibachs but most folks will say not stiff enough to be competitive.

The answer to your question really depends on class and budget, how streetable you want the car, how competitive you already are and want to be (local, regional, national). If you are in it for fun or starting out and have limited budget, bump up the springs with a set of used H&Rs and get as much seat time as you can.

If the proposed SCCA class reorganization goes through ST is out for e30s and you will be in STX, DSP, or SM (depending on your prep). In either case a 15x7 wheel is small. The 15 kooks are also happier on a 7.5, 8, or larger to take advantage of the width. Also in STX and DSP you will be competing against folks with LSDs and r-comps.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
          You can not run r-comps in STX, it must be a street tire.

And I run a 15x7 wheel with the 15" hankooks and they perform just fine. However I am looking to upgrade to an 8" wide wheel at some point.
          Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
          sigpic

Comment

STX is for something like 150+ treadwear IIRC... But R Tires are ok in DSP/SM and even in stock classes in most regions.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              STX is for something like 150+ treadwear IIRC... But R Tires are ok in DSP/SM and even in stock classes in most regions.
              Close. STX is 140+ treadwear and must be street tires. Any tires in pretty much every other class.

I also use ground control coilovers and have camber plates etc...

Only suspension Item I really think I want as well is a sway bar and thats coming soon.
              Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
              sigpic

Comment

I'm running ground control coilovers with Bilstein sports. 450/550 front to rear spring rates with GC camber plates on Hankook RS-3s. I'm still running stock sway bars, but could use the upgraded from sway if I truly wanted to be competitive, as well as ditching my E36 sport seats in favor of something a bit lighter.

Comment

Im thinking in the off season im gonna ditch my hr sports and billies and go get the full ground control coilover setup.
                  1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Working...
                  X