Race Seat Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race Seat Guidance

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of track days and need to get out of my factory sport seats and into a race seat. I preferrably want 2. I'm at the stage where I'm going to start stripping the car to save weight.

I know that really the best way to find a seat is to sit in ones as you come across them but wanted some initial opinions on where to start. I'm okay with spending some money on seats but would like to keep around 1000 to 1200 for a pair. I'm 6.2 185. I drive the car 3-4 hours to and from the track so comfort might be a factor but can be sacrificed for performance.

I'm mainly trying to find a good high quality seat that is light. Thoughts?

A Sparco Evo II for the driver. The passenger seat can be something a bit less.

I don't thaink any race seat is going to be comfortable for a 4 hour drive. I could go about two hours in an Evo before I had to take a short break. A properly fiffing race seas means that you can't change positions. Good for the track, but uncomfortable on the street after awhile.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ive never sat in one but Cobra Imola can be an option

G.Verelli

Comment

I am about the same size as the original poster.
        I had Recaro Profi SPG's in my car for 2+ years.
        They were more comfortable than OE sport seats for long drives.
        Having to buckle 6pt harnesses every time you get in/out of the car was cumbersome.

I'd also consider Cobra Suzuka (possibly the GT).
        Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by gverelli View Post
          Ive never sat in one but Cobra Imola can be an option
          I sat in an Imola Pro...lovely. I was set on buying a pair, but found the Corbeau FX1-Pros similar, more budget friendly for a beginner on the track.
          -Brandon
          '86 325es S50
          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I am a fan of the Cobra line of seats. the Cobra Imola pro is what I have. I am 6' 1"ish and 155 lbs it fits me like a glove. call up sube sports ,they are in Huntington beach. if you have free time during the week stop by and check out some seats they have a bunch you can test out. they are also open sat till 12noon.

Looking for Sparco seats and Sparco racing seats? Improve performance with new equipment. Sube Sports provides the best for Puma Motorsport & More.

they have a great staff and the Chad (owner) is a really cool guy.
            :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
              I am a fan of the Cobra line of seats. the Cobra Imola pro is what I have. I am 6' 1"ish and 155 lbs it fits me like a glove. call up sube sports ,they are in Huntington beach. if you have free time during the week stop by and check out some seats they have a bunch you can test out. they are also open sat till 12noon.

Looking for Sparco seats and Sparco racing seats? Improve performance with new equipment. Sube Sports provides the best for Puma Motorsport & More.

they have a great staff and the Chad (owner) is a really cool guy.
              Yeah, I've been meaning to go there and sit in some seats. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post

I don't thaink any race seat is going to be comfortable for a 4 hour drive. I could go about two hours in an Evo before I had to take a short break. A properly fiffing race seas means that you can't change positions. Good for the track, but uncomfortable on the street after awhile.
                Agreed. I think if I had to choose, I'd choose a better functional seat for the track and put up with the discomfort of long trips. If I have to pull over and take a break then I guess thats what I have to do. The Evo 2 looks great. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                  If you're doing instructed DE's, check with your local groups you'll be running with as some require the same seat for both instructor and driver (a few local to me do, and I got a verbal lashing for having one Recaro Pole Position and one stock RS sport seat - which in all honestly holds you just as well as the PP - in my 911 once :loco:) I think it was a NASA event that made the big deal out of it, but not 100% sure any more. They used the "equal safety devices for both driver and passenger" clause to get me for it. Personally I think they just wanted to bitch at someone about something...

Oh and BTW the Pole Positions are the most comfortable fixed-back seat ever made. But $$$$
                  1991 318iS
                  1992 911
                  2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
                  1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
                  1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

I came across this with my harness. I had a 5pt harness but not one for the passenger. Are those Pole Positions really worth it?

Comment

I absolutely love the PP's. But, I think the best advice I could give is to find a local race shop that stocks a variety of seats, and go sit in them and see what you think. The PP's are for skinny guys only - they're fairly tight.
                      1991 318iS
                      1992 911
                      2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
                      1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
                      1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

I perfer the Sparco line myself,although i have Corbeau FX1 Pros in the E30...not bad for $300 each and $100 for the fixed seat brackets...with very little mod,will bolt in
                        NASA
                        BMWCCA member
                        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                        1997 M3 sedan
                        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

The typical rule is that you have to have equal safety equipment for driver and passenger; both fixed back seats, same type of restraint, etc.(note this does not apply to H&N restraints). It does not mean you have to have identical items for the driver and passenger, so brands/materials can be different; driver's seat can be carbon and the passenger an aluminum kirkey, schroth on one side and g-force on the other.

You live in SoCal, there has got to be a race shop around with seats set up for you to sit in or at the next track event ask people if you can sit in their seats. My personal opinion is to stay away from anything with a tube frame (especially cobreau's). I run Racetech RT1000's, comfortable for a 3hr drive from Albany to Boston. Having a bunch of people on a forum suggest seats won't help you to know if they fit your body.
                          sigpic
                          '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyVT View Post
                            The typical rule is that you have to have equal safety equipment for driver and passenger; both fixed back seats, same type of restraint, etc.(note this does not apply to H&N restraints). It does not mean you have to have identical items for the driver and passenger, so brands/materials can be different; driver's seat can be carbon and the passenger an aluminum kirkey, schroth on one side and g-force on the other.

You live in SoCal, there has got to be a race shop around with seats set up for you to sit in or at the next track event ask people if you can sit in their seats. My personal opinion is to stay away from anything with a tube frame (especially cobreau's). I run Racetech RT1000's, comfortable for a 3hr drive from Albany to Boston. Having a bunch of people on a forum suggest seats won't help you to know if they fit your body.

Yes, I agree. I'm going to start sitting in seats at the track and at the stores. Doing a lemons event in Reno this weekend that should give me plenty of opportunity to try some examples.

As far as asking on a forum, just trying to gain additional insight like your Tube frame comment. Any info is appreciated and helps. Thanks again.

Comment

Another reason to sit in seats before you buy is to check the height of the shoulder harness slots. If you have a tall torso the slots on some seats will end up being too low. Most of the seat sizing charts you find on vendor sites don't have this measurement (from the top of the seat cushion to the bottom and top of the harness slots). The Cobra seats tend to have higher shoulder slots. Heights for the Racetechs, Sparcos, Recaros, etc can vary depending on model.
                              1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
                              1991 318is: raw DD
                              2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X