No announcement yet.

One down, one to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my failure early Saturday morning and a friend lost a toe adjuster bolt during Sunday's 45 minute race. Since the bolt was missing we don't know it the nut loosened or stripped. Since the car was fine for all of Saturday and suddenly went south during the race, I lean towards thread failure (like mine).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Are you using the AKG, e30tech, or bimmerworld kit?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were all the same, just wonderin.

Comment

I don't know what was on my friend's car, but mine is none of the above. I'm of the opinion that the particular kit isn't important, based on the problems I've seen with the various kits. It is more about the eccentric bolts design and the choice in bushings.

Comment

aluminum rtabs are legal in SE30? not sure if i want it much stiffer than it is back there though.
          '12 F30 328i Sport Line
          '91 SpecE30 #523
          '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

For what it's worth, we found the bolt for Adam's car, the nut had fallen off. This was possibly the worst track surface in the history of mankind, so its no surprise stuff fell off cars :)

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
            Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
            Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Note to self.

Go ahead and modify RTA's with rod ends as opposed to eccentric bushings, since I have no class legality to worry about.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Skafrog View Post
                For what it's worth, we found the bolt for Adam's car, the nut had fallen off. This was possibly the worst track surface in the history of mankind, so its no surprise stuff fell off cars :)
                Interesting... My experience with a loosening bolt is that it causes a steadily worsening situation with handling getting worse each time the car is driven. But a bolt or nut failure results in a sudden and dramatic change. I wonder if the threads in the nut stripped?

Comment

Well, remember he was asking the questions about his car pulling to the left when accelerating on Saturday? He then spun in the morning session on Sunday. I think all of that was related to the nut falling off early in the weekend and then the bolt slowly sliding out....
                  I agree, I wish I could have seen the nut, but it probably melted in the afternoon heat :)

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                  Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                  Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

That would be a symptom of a loose adjuster.

Comment

Working...
                    X