Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religion poll

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
    In Tennessee and Mississippi, no less, my hat is off, I know it can't be easy 'round there. How unwelcome Atheists are in the south was the primary thing that kept my parents from moving to NC when they retired.

And gay Hispanic to top it off, lol.
    I just live my life and don't let anything bother me.

Respect others is the key and you'll get the same.
    Last edited by M_3_X; 01-02-2017, 10:48 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      The South is a mighty large place, with a great deal of it caring little for religion, and like any place, when one moves one should try to adapt/blend in to the local culture. If I were an atheist wanting to move to any highly religious area I would keep myself to myself on the holy days and would do my very best to not step on any toes or harm my neighbors' feelings.

The people who take serious exception to a neighbors' choice to be involved or not with religion are not generally good people, and probably would make shitty neighbors. Those people that recognize the respect you pay to them as the new person in the community by not overtly countering their beliefs are the ones we should all seek out.

In my personal opinion, it's a large planet filled with many types of people, with many different beliefs, and it's really no ones business what their neighbors do as long as they are reasonably in compliance with the law of the land.

Very well said, Sir!
      -Mario Andretti.

Comment

Maybe it is just the area my Dad's family lives in that particularly turned them off, but they realized that everyone was so religious there that they wouldn't even be able to socialize without being ostracized, the first thing people ask each other what church do you go to and stuff like that, they would see people praying in parking lots, it made them really uncomfortable. My Dad bought his Hemi Road Runner out of Arkansas and that was a crazy religious town we were in there, they acted kinda shitty that we wanted to view the car on a Sunday because it interfered with their church time, left us waiting forever and shit because of it. I was under the impression most of the south was like that unless you are in an urban area. Spent a lot of time there as a kid but limited to a few specific areas mostly.
        sigpic
        1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Maybe it is just the area my Dad's family lives in that particularly turned them off, but they realized that everyone was so religious there that they wouldn't even be able to socialize without being ostracized, the first thing people ask each other what church do you go to and stuff like that, they would see people praying in parking lots, it made them really uncomfortable. My Dad bought his Hemi Road Runner out of Arkansas and that was a crazy religious town we were in there, they acted kinda shitty that we wanted to view the car on a Sunday because it interfered with their church time, left us waiting forever and shit because of it. I was under the impression most of the south was like that unless you are in an urban area. Spent a lot of time there as a kid but limited to a few specific areas mostly.

There is so little respect in this post that it is sickening.

I'm from the South and a vast majority of my friends have no love for religion while much of my family is highly religious.

Love and let live.

It is rudeness that is met with intolerance. Respect is a mighty thing to my Southern brethren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Derek-

Comment

My Dad bought his Hemi Road Runner out of Arkansas and that was a crazy religious town we were in there, they acted kinda shitty that we wanted to view the car on a Sunday because it interfered with their church time, left us waiting forever and shit because of it.
            So what if they were at church, work, or at a nude beach. If they were busy, they were busy! If you replaced "car show" or "e30 meet" in place of church, would your reaction be different?

Funny to look at all the hate on religion. I can live and let live, but many people who are atheist seem to be religion haters, and not being truly "absent of belief in god(s)". What do you care if people are preying, much as saying what do people care if you are working on your car in the yard. Let people do WTF they want as long as they aren't getting in the way, or harming the rest of society.

There are all kinds in every walk of life. You have radicals in every niche, just like you have conservatives in every niche.

That being said, going back to the OP. It's a very vague question. What one person might call "religious", another might call "radical". Do I believe that the human race won the lottery every day for the last few million years, no. Do I think earth was created in a day, no. But, as we know every chemical reaction shows matter/mass/energy cannot be created or lost. Seeing human life is one long chemical reaction, something happens when we die - conciseness is an energy of some sort. Same with the universe...where did all this matter/mass/energy come from?

In my lifetime, scientists have always disproved creationism by saying "you can't get something from nothing", now they are saying before the big bang, there was nothing. WTF, make up your minds. But even Hawkings (who is supposed to be atheist) has mentioned many times that it's hard to say that we are not "designed" since everything works out so perfect, and there are so many repeating patterns - he can see why people believe what they do.

Am I religious because I think we are not an accident, or would I be religious if I attended a church?
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Its easy for atheists to express hatred for religion when it was probably that religion that caused them to become atheist in the first place.

I don't hate religion, but religious people have a huge persecution complex, same with a lot of atheists.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                The South is a mighty large place, with a great deal of it caring little for religion, and like any place, when one moves one should try to adapt/blend in to the local culture. If I were an atheist wanting to move to any highly religious area I would keep myself to myself on the holy days and would do my very best to not step on any toes or harm my neighbors' feelings.

The people who take serious exception to a neighbors' choice to be involved or not with religion are not generally good people, and probably would make shitty neighbors. Those people that recognize the respect you pay to them as the new person in the community by not overtly countering their beliefs are the ones we should all seek out.

In my personal opinion, it's a large planet filled with many types of people, with many different beliefs, and it's really no ones business what their neighbors do as long as they are reasonably in compliance with the law of the land.
                Yep.

I live in OK, one of the most religious places in the country and this is exactly what I do.

I nod politely and never discuss what I think about it.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                  I don't hate religion, but religious people have a huge persecution complex, same with a lot of atheists.
                  Don't you find it interesting that in your own statement all religious people have this complex, and "a lot" (but not all) of Atheists do too?

Don't take it the wrong way, just pointing out a slight bias that presented itself unintentionally. Or at least that's the way it appears.

Religion, as with the Human mind, is a very complicated thing.

Well said above, FF.
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                    Don't you find it interesting that in your own statement all religious people have this complex, and "a lot" (but not all) of Atheists do too?

Don't take it the wrong way, just pointing out a slight bias that presented itself unintentionally. Or at least that's the way it appears.

Religion, as with the Human mind, is a very complicated thing.

Well said above, FF.
                    No I definitely see it both ways, but I notice a lot more at least in my family the religious family members constantly think people are out to get them, Obama is gonna make america a Muslim country, etc, that type of shit. My parents have gotten a lot better about it, but they used to act like it was only a matter of time before they would have to 'hide' their being religious.

A lot of these tendencies my family had were part of the reason I became non-religious. That and realizing you don't need some invisible force to be a moral upstanding person in the world. I can be me, and be a good person, and to me that's all I need.

Overall I'd say most of the causes are not inherently part of religion or the people who are religious or atheist themselves, but more likely whichever place they are getting their support from that is molding how they react to things.
                    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                    willschnitz

Comment

Life is a nightmare, death is a gift.

but seriously, this life is all we've got until proven different. Yet I'm here posting with you fuckers. Worth it.
                      1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                      1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                      bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        Its easy for atheists to express hatred for religion when it was probably that religion that caused them to become atheist in the first place.

I wouldn't throw a blanket, there are some vocal atheists as there are theists and religious people. I'd say believers a very "touchy" when discussing a topic, they feel threatens them for some reason, like are afraid of opening their eyes and start thinking for themselves and not what they were taught to believe.

But no atheist will knock on peoples' doors trying to convert any one, like some religious people do, without thinking that they might offend some one, if people want to believe that there is an invisible magician in the sky that created everything, and is going to send you to hell if you don't do what the book says, please do, I respect them for that. Being any type of religious person don't make you a good person, your acts do.
                        -Mario Andretti.

Comment

Originally posted by M_3_X View Post
                          Being any type of religious person don't make you a good person, your acts do.
                          Well put.

My Brother said something that has always stuck with me. "Good people go to good places".

I personally believe in a God. That said, it's a personal belief that wasn't taught to me. As a matter of fact my views on the matter have cause Christian family members to worry about me. To be honest I don't like the idea of a heaven or hell, because I personally don't believe in inherently evil people. I don't think there is a single person who has lived who deserves an eternal (spiritual) punishment. I like to think of the earth as a school, you keep coming back until you have learned whatever it is that you need to learn.

Live and let live. You aren't going to offend me with your belief or non belief.

Anywho, whether we are here to worship, by chance, or to learn, we can't be sure of either and we're in it together so let's make the best of it.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            What do you care if people are preying, much as saying what do people care if you are working on your car in the yard. Let people do WTF they want as long as they aren't getting in the way, or harming the rest of society.
                            I'm mostly ok with this, however the following statements highlight why it's a slippery slope.

But, as we know every chemical reaction shows matter/mass/energy cannot be created or lost. Seeing human life is one long chemical reaction, something happens when we die - conciseness is an energy of some sort. Same with the universe...where did all this matter/mass/energy come from?

In my lifetime, scientists have always disproved creationism by saying "you can't get something from nothing", now they are saying before the big bang, there was nothing. WTF, make up your minds. But even Hawkings (who is supposed to be atheist) has mentioned many times that it's hard to say that we are not "designed" since everything works out so perfect, and there are so many repeating patterns - he can see why people believe what they do.
                            You attempt to use your religious views to interpret science, and in turn reject science to some degree based on this. Some people in power are also of the same thinking, as well as millions of children growing up who hold ignorant and incorrect interpretations on science thanks to the influence religion and their parents had on them. This kind of thinking does get in the way, it does cause setbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                              whether we are here to worship, by chance, or to learn, we can't be sure of either and we're in it together so let's make the best of it.
                              Well said! :up:
                              -Mario Andretti.

Comment

I'm an atheist but I find that many atheist people can very condescending douchebags toward Christians, and some of the arguments that a newly converted, outspoken atheist uses to support atheism aren't always as conclusive or eloquent as he/she thinks they are. The same statement could be said about any religion, but I can definitely see why most religious folks think atheists aren't a trustworthy group. There's lot of work to to get people to start thinking critically about religious scriptures and atheists are doing a horrible job of that. Spirituality is harder to refute.

As for the question being too vague, I guess I'd just consider what are the things that influence your thoughts and actions. If you feel there is ever some spiritual influence or consequence to your existence, whether it be outlined by any of the major world religions or just a general observance of some defined or undefined universal purpose, then I'd say you're religious. As for not being religious, you just know when you are.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X