M30 rebuild. What to check/replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 rebuild. What to check/replace

I have my M30 mostly torn down. I sent the head in and had it checked, cleaned, milled, etc. What else should I do to this motor before I start putting everything back together. I heard I might want to consider replacing the rod bearings. I opened up the bottom end and everything seems fine down there. I have all the gaskets I need so I am planning on puting the motor back together this weekend. I just wanted to check to see if anyone has any suggestions on things I should consider before I build it back up.

Talk to M3 Ryan on this board - He know the M30 inside and out. Did full rebuild a while back on a euro L-block m30.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Well, I would suggest the rod bearings/bolts/nuts and main bearings for sure.
      I would rebuild the oil pump as its cheaper and just as effective as buying a new one.
      The valves and seats can be machined, no need for replacements there unless a problem occured. Replace the rocker arms and shafts if they are scored or worn, I didn't and I broke a rocker 2k miles after the rebuild... not a job you want to do in the car because if 4, 5 or 6 break, the head must come out due to lack of access to the rocker shafts.
      Replace the timing chain, tensioner, guide rails and sprockets.
      The crank should be ok as long as there are no spun bearings, so leave it be. Replace all the bearing shells with the proper size after measuring the crank journals.
      Replace the pistons if they are excessively loose, re-ring them with DEVES piston rings if they are tight.
      Make sure that all the bushings in the connection rod small-ends are tight and not shifted from their oiling hole, or you will throw a rod.
      Good luck! M30's are simple engines, nothing to them really... just be sure to address the issues I listed above and you will be a-ok.
      '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
      '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
      '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
      iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X