2.8L Stroker Turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    I have a m30 G&T manifold it's probably the best chinafold out there.
    Flanges are warped though so make sure you get them flat somehow.

Did you get this from dan pinter from e30tech?
    I thought that long runner manifold itself was really good, but it was so THIN.
    ended up cracking on the turbo flange.

No, I got it from eBay and realized the flange was upsidedown when test fitting it on my head.
    Went to CxRacing (7 miles away) and complained in person for a replacement.

It's good in a sense of managing space for AC oil filter, but the runners all run into eachother with the exception of 1 lol. The old-style manifold is much more better and more equal length, but I do agree they are really thin.
    My fabricator rewelded spots where he thought were too thin for his liking. Exhaust bolts lined up great though.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
      and I used the early manifold, but instead of using that wastegate adapter, we welded a provisional for the external wastegate iteself on the branches.
      Same way the dan pinder one on my iX was done. No idea how well it works, but it doesn't look bad.

In the future, I'm going to try to mount the wastegate directly off the turbine housing. Might be a really good way to go on an e30 where there's no clearance.

I've seen a couple people mig the vband fitting onto cast housings with some pre/post heating and haven't heard of any failing yet.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I have decided to go with the rapidspoolindustries manifold for this build. I am almost done piecing together my kit. All i have to get now is the oil lines for the turbo.

Can anyone confirm that the rapidspoolindustries manifold will fit on an 'e' bottom with the oil filter sticking straight out?

Thanks y'all
        1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          Same way the dan pinder one on my iX was done. No idea how well it works, but it doesn't look bad.

In the future, I'm going to try to mount the wastegate directly off the turbine housing. Might be a really good way to go on an e30 where there's no clearance.

I've seen a couple people mig the vband fitting onto cast housings with some pre/post heating and haven't heard of any failing yet.
          My fabricator did this to two 24v swapped E30's without any problems to report from a couple years ago.
          I like the idea, but just don't like the aesthetics of it all lol.

I had a 1.75" diameter provisional welded to the 44mm v-banded wastegate in an upward stream re-circulated to a 3.5" DP and haven't experienced any creep yet on low boost (10psi)!
          On 16psi it spiked to 17psi at peak tq, but settled back down easily so I'm happy.

The old manifold scavenges exhaust way better than the newer style as well.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Spiegl View Post
            I have decided to go with the rapidspoolindustries manifold for this build. I am almost done piecing together my kit. All i have to get now is the oil lines for the turbo.

Can anyone confirm that the rapidspoolindustries manifold will fit on an 'e' bottom with the oil filter sticking straight out?

Thanks y'all
            Plenty of clearance. ;)

See this link..

john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Plenty of clearance. ;)

See this link..

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=342629
              Well, im sold for 450$ thats a no brain-er. lol
              1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                My fabricator did this to two 24v swapped E30's without any problems to report from a couple years ago.
                I like the idea, but just don't like the aesthetics of it all lol.

I had a 1.75" diameter provisional welded to the 44mm v-banded wastegate in an upward stream re-circulated to a 3.5" DP and haven't experienced any creep yet on low boost (10psi)!
                On 16psi it spiked to 17psi at peak tq, but settled back down easily so I'm happy.

The old manifold scavenges exhaust way better than the newer style as well.
                Same spot as mine, except it has a tial 38mm:

The new ebay manifold is a mess. It looks like all the tubes are just slapped into one spot without any thought or care put into it. Only positive is that it fits the iX unaltered.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

yaaaa that newer style ebay one is HORRIBLE.
                  I still like the old long runner one.
                  If I did it again I'd get brace for the turbo because
                  the metal is just too shit. Flange also came upside down.

Also If you cut the flange in the middle the runners kinda spring out and you can fit it
                  without having to drill bigger holes or slot them.

Comment

You will be extremely happy if you take it slower and piece together your own kit I promise
                    Definilty go with megasquirt as well, it's worth the money

I was intimidated with piecing everything together myself but once you do it you won't regret it
                    Buying reliable and reputable parts will save you a giant headache later on!!
                    IG- nv_e30

Comment

Working...
                    X