Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New codes after car sitting for months

Hey guys,

Recently moved cross country and my car has more or less been sitting with the battery disconnected for 3 months. I have a Markert tune, no issues....wasn't getting any codes whatsoever for the few months before I moved here and the car pulled HARD. Now it drives like shit and I am getting a few codes that come back immediately whenever I clear them:

P0117 - power train, engine coolant temp circuit low input
    P0012 - power train, camshaft position actuator A - bank 1 - timing over retarded
    P0340 - power train, camshaft position sensor A - bank 1 circuit malfunction
    C2500 - chassis
    P1700 - power train

I haven't touched anything with the engine in this time, especially the timing, so that is not making a whole lot of sense to me. Though not impossible I guess the sensor could have just gone bad (even though it has less than 10k miles on it). I have all the Beisan vanos stuff including their coil pack and I got a replacement solenoid pack from them at one point that was very clean and the valves opened and closed no problem.

However the C2500 and P0117 codes shouldn't even be able to be there as far as I know - why in the world is a chassis side code showing up? And clearly this swap doesn't use the E46 M3 temp sensor so that should be coded out as well I think...

Any ideas?

mss54, limp mode?
    Last edited by DesertBMW; 09-27-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Its an MSS54

Comment

Did the tuner change the DME from SMG to manual mode?

The P and C codes are useless to me for fixing tunes - do you know what the BMW codes for those are? I'm betting C2500 is something related to EWS or CAN. They just need to be turned off.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Not sure but its a Markert tune so I assume so. I have a feeling this whole thing may result in me having to ship my ECU to them to take a look. I don't know the BMW codes. A long time ago I was able to get INPA working but since then I have tried 3 different cables and 4 different laptops and it never seems to recognize the cable and the software is always sketch

Any known working combos off ebay or something I could get? I remember there was a guy selling dedicated laptops with a cable and all for 200 or so a while back but those seem to have disappeared

Comment

Markert's should be working fine - I would send him a message and see if he knows what's up. I really doubt he didn't delete the proper error codes.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Update: they reflashed it just in case but couldn't seem to find anything wrong.
              They think the thermostat code is due to a faulty thermostat (it literally has maybe 20 miles on it) or temp sensor, but the E46 M3 temp sensor isn't used in this swap so idk how that could be.
              They think the cam sensor codes are due to vanos seals or solenoid. Both are from beisan with no more than 3k miles on them.
              The C2500 and P0117 codes they have never seen before. No one else seems to know much about them either.

In another thread gpeterson responded that he doesn't think the can controller could be responsible for any of those codes.

I'm kind of at a loss here. All I have done is installed the can controller and had the car sit (battery unplugged). There is literally no way it can't be the can controller, the ECU, or both.

Comment

To be honest - the "P" codes mean nothing to me. Those are generic OBD2 codes, not BMW specific typically - so I have a harder time following the problems.

What are C2500 and P0117 specifically? Any chance you can hook up INPA and read these codes directly, instead of from some generic reader? Do you have an OBD2 cable/laptop?

if I know Markert, he's not sleeping well thinking of these issues, something is going on but we can't help you because we don't understand the problem.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't personally have INPA (can't ever get it to work/bogus downloads/multiple crap cables won't connect etc), but it looks like they scanned it for me, as below, along with the message "80% of the codes you will see on the sheet is the vehicle not being present and looking if the sensors when connected such as Throttle Valve, Pedal Value sensor, throttle valve pots, oil level sensor, and etc"

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
                  -------------------------------------
                  Date: 09/22/17 15:40:30
                  ECU: MSS54DS0
                  JobStatus: OKAY
                  Variant: MSS54DS0 ------------------------------------------------------------- RESULT: 12 errors in error memory ! ------------------------------------------------------------- 78 Cooling water temperature sensor
                  Error frequency : 1
                  Logistic counter: 40
                  Engine speed 960.00 rpm
                  relative filling 27.20 %
                  Intake air temperature 37.00 degrees C
                  Supplier voltage HR 13.90 V
                  aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.00 h
                  0010 - Short circuit to ground or value too small
                  OBD exhaust relevant error
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 118 Throttle valve pot. 1
                  Engine speed 0.00 rpm
                  relative filling 0.00 %
                  Cooling water temp. -48.00 degrees C
                  Supplier voltage HR 12.90 V
                  0001 - Short circuit to battery or value too hig
                  h

Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 119 Throttle valve pot. 2
                  Engine speed 0.00 rpm
                  relative filling 0.00 %
                  Cooling water temp. -48.00 degrees C
                  0001 - Short circuit to battery or value too hig
                  h

Error present
                  Static error -------------------------------------------------------------

60 Pedal value sensor 1
                  Engine speed 0.00 rpm
                  relative filling 0.00 %
                  Sensor supply 1 5.04 V
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 61 Pedal value sensor 2
                  Engine speed 0.00 rpm
                  relative filling 0.00 %
                  Sensor supply 2 5.04 V
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 121 Both throttle valve pots.
                  Engine speed 0.00 rpm
                  relative filling 0.00 %
                  Cooling water temp. -47.00 degrees C
                  Redundancy comparison
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 44 Signal active oil level sensor
                  Engine speed 0.00 rpm
                  relative filling 0.00 %
                  Cooling water temp. -47.00 degrees C
                  Total air mass 0.00 kg/h
                  0100 - Broken wire / Value missing
                  Error present

Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 184 EVANOS1 regulation
                  Engine speed 960.00 rpm
                  Oil temperature TOG 54.00 degrees C
                  Cooling water temp. 70.00 degrees C
                  no pressure
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 7 EVANOS1-Hall sensor
                  Engine speed 960.00 rpm
                  Cooling water temp. 71.00 degrees C
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 10 AVANOS1-Hall sensor
                  Engine speed 960.00 rpm
                  Cooling water temp. 71.00 degrees C
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 15 Synchronisation CS-sensor 1 with KW
                  Engine speed 960.00 rpm
                  relative filling 27.20 %

Nominal AVANOS 2 0.00 Degrees KW
                  Actual AVANOS 2 12.80 Degrees KW
                  1000 - Condition / value implausible / over-temperature
                  Error present
                  Static error ------------------------------------------------------------- 144 Lambda regulator 1
                  Engine speed 960.00 rpm
                  relative filling 26.40 %
                  Lambda regulation factor 1 1.30 -
                  Lambda adaption factor 1 0.78 -
                  Upper regulator limit
                  Error present
                  Static error
                  ================================================== ===========

Comment

I think you have an electrical problem - a bad ground, low battery, etc. It's driving poorly because it's not able to run the throttles, vanos, etc. properly.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The throttle and vanos stuff doesn't show up when plugged into my car...markert just said it showed up for them bc it was a bench test and not plugged into a car. Those codes don't show up when the ECU is installed.

Battery is connected to trickle charger when not in use and is probably a year or so old and has never seen a winter

Comment

ah ok i didn't realize those were read on the bench.

Can't really tell from in case because pretty much all of those errors will pop up with the DME unplugged from the car.

it's really not that tough to set up INPA - I know somebody that can help with that pretty cheap, assuming your OBD2 port is hooked up properly.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sure, pass me their contact info or vice versa. Tbh I may be downsizing to just 1 car and getting rid of this one soon ish but I want it in perfect working order before I sell it, so as long as the inpa setup isn't too crazy and is reliable. Just been reluctant to buy something of eBay that may or may not work

Comment

Well, I got the ECU back from Markert. They didn't see anything wrong with the ECU or the tune but reflashed it to humor me.
                            Not surprisingly the reflash didn't work at all. I even unplugged the CAN controller and there was no difference. If I clear the codes, the revs increase briefly but the codes IMMEDIATELY come back.
                            Also I noticed that when I turn the key to ACC I hear the fuel pump priming like I should...but then if I tap the pedal with the ignition in ACC the rpm gauge goes crazy and the fuel pump primes again...that shouldn't be happening either. And now my turn signals don't work either...wtf. I'm guessing I developed some sort of electrical gremlin. Any idea on where to start looking? I am not looking to just buy a new harness though that would probably be the easiest lol...$500+ when I'm not even totally sure that would work is not really on my agenda

Do any of the symptoms described in this post share a common grounding point or some sort of wire junction/contact I can look at first as the most high yield?
                            Last edited by diesekte; 10-05-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diesekte View Post
                              Well, I got the ECU back from Markert. They didn't see anything wrong with the ECU or the tune but reflashed it to humor me.
                              Did they put it on their swap car and test the function of the ecu that way?

Comment

Working...
                              X