Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M52 with aluminum m42 radiator ?

has any one had any issue running a aluminum m42 radiator on a turbo m52

was think about running this radiator setup sense the reservoir is pretty much built into the radiator and mounts on the opposite side of the turbo and cleans up the engine bay and wont have to have a coolant tank on the fender well

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Bigboost3; 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM.
    Want some custom Splatter Paint Trim Pieces, Kidney Grills, Shift Knob, and Valve Covers with M Colors PM ME ! INSTAGRAM ~ @snaki_customs :D

You'll have to have a really freakin good fan but even then I'd be wary of it. Even N/A the m42 rad can have some issues properly keeping the engine cool
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

If you already have it give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        You'll have to have a really freakin good fan but even then I'd be wary of it. Even N/A the m42 rad can have some issues properly keeping the engine cool

Well I would use a aluminum one not a stock one hoping that it’s being and aluminum radiator with a good fan would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Want some custom Splatter Paint Trim Pieces, Kidney Grills, Shift Knob, and Valve Covers with M Colors PM ME ! INSTAGRAM ~ @snaki_customs :D

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          If you already have it give it a go.

I didn’t get one yet but I did these one of these on eBay

Comment

I didn't even know you could buy an aluminum m42 radiator with built in tank. That's pretty cool!
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
              I didn't even know you could buy an aluminum m42 radiator with built in tank. That's pretty cool!

Yea found that on eBay comes from the Netherlands

Comment

looking forward to a report on that radiator...

Comment

Guess I’ll just have to try it out and hope for the best and just get a really fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigboost3 View Post
                    Well I would use a aluminum one not a stock one hoping that it’s being and aluminum radiator with a good fan would be better.

What makes that better than stock rad. In sense of cooling power. That has the same core as the stock rad. Only difference being aluminium end tanks.

I use the stock e36/m42 rad in my m52 turbo with no problems ;)

Comment

With Pazi88. Aluminum end caps don't have a dramatic effect on the cooling capabilities.

My S52 swapped 318is started out with the stock radiator. I had issue after issue with overheating. Quickly went to an E36 Mishimoto. No issues for years.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                        What makes that better than stock rad. In sense of cooling power. That has the same core as the stock rad. Only difference being aluminium end tanks.

I use the stock e36/m42 rad in my m52 turbo with no problems ;)

So you use a m42 rad from a 318 e36 on your turbo m52 with electric fan? If so how many cfm is that fan ?

Comment

But then again isn’t the idea of an aluminum radiator because aluminum supposedly dissipates heat better

Comment

So you use a m42 rad from a 318 e36 on your turbo m52 with electric fan? If so how many cfm is that fan ?

Well it's e36 rad from model which has air conditioning. So it's bit taller than e30 m42 rad. But otherwise it's same, so it's drop in replacement for facelift e30.

I had 375mm spal fan which is rated for 1620 m³/h of airflow. Which is 950 CFM if I calculated correctly. That was fine for normal driving, but too weak for doing long stand still burnouts etc. So I'm replacing that with e39 fan assembly. That feels like it will flow 2 to 3 times more air that the spal fan, and costs about the same. And it also includes the frame and resistors for multi speed operation. https://www.instagram.com/p/BfLQt53l...en-by=sipasema

But then again isn’t the idea of an aluminum radiator because aluminum supposedly dissipates heat better

Yeah. But the stock one is also aluminium and that linked ebay rad has exactly same core as the stock one. Same size, same design, same thickness etc. So you pay extra for those shiny aluminium end tanks that do not make difference on cooling power.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                              Well it's e36 rad from model which has air conditioning. So it's bit taller than e30 m42 rad. But otherwise it's same, so it's drop in replacement for facelift e30.

I had 375mm spal fan which is rated for 1620 m³/h of airflow. Which is 950 CFM if I calculated correctly. That was fine for normal driving, but too weak for doing long stand still burnouts etc. So I'm replacing that with e39 fan assembly. That feels like it will flow 2 to 3 times more air that the spal fan, and costs about the same. And it also includes the frame and resistors for multi speed operation. https://www.instagram.com/p/BfLQt53l...en-by=sipasema

Yeah. But the stock one is also aluminium and that linked ebay rad has exactly same core as the stock one. Same size, same design, same thickness etc. So you pay extra for those shiny aluminium end tanks that do not make difference on cooling power.

E39 fan interesting I’m gonna have to look into that. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X