The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Absolutely! I have never seen a 'bolt on' 1uz make very good power, but I do agree- they are great motors, especially with boost. The appeal of the domestic powerplant is weight with aluminum heads = similar to m20, power delivery, ease and cost of modification, and good support for fitting it in an E30 in a clean fashion.

The 302 pans are steel, but I still feel uneasy about the capacity even with a baffle since 1qt of the pan is being taken out. I'm sure it'll be fine on the street, but my worry would be on a track day. I've got plenty of time to establish a suitable solution, though.
    I also haven't really done a whole lot of research on them aside from stock reliability, but I would imagine theres a lot of similarity between them and an m60, at least in terms of general composition and how they'd fit in the bay. Theyre also pretty available. But you're definitely making me more interested in a 302 swap....I'll have to go down this rabbit hole carefully haha
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I just posted a ton of stuff up locally a few days ago! I hope someone buys the M52/S52 setup soon. It'd be so great in an E30. Let me know when you're ready to swing back down!

I just might do that once I decide to tackle the interior down the road. I am currently trying to find a suitable place for getting the seats done in the M3, but that's back east unfortunately.
      I just got my car the other day and I need a few more parts than expected, Ill get a list together soon.
      Ill swing by soon after I get it insured.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        I also haven't really done a whole lot of research on them aside from stock reliability, but I would imagine theres a lot of similarity between them and an m60, at least in terms of general composition and how they'd fit in the bay. Theyre also pretty available. But you're definitely making me more interested in a 302 swap....I'll have to go down this rabbit hole carefully haha
        Bahaha you hit the nail on the head there- tread carefully for if you get too into it you'll find yourself 'all in' rather swiftly. I'm watching these builds from afar and compiling my info.

I like the M60, I just don't like the cost of modification to make them go faster. Not that you'd ever need to in an E30 really but they start to add up quick.

Originally posted by super51fan View Post
        I just got my car the other day and I need a few more parts than expected, Ill get a list together soon.
        Ill swing by soon after I get it insured.
        Congrats on taking delivery of the car- sounds good man!
        Last edited by AWDBOB; 02-15-2018, 05:22 PM.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

IE, Garagistic, Bimmerheads and Bimmer Baron orders showed up! Just waiting on a huge order from FCP and I'll be in business.

Comment

Looks good! stoked for you to finally be getting this going. Hope to see it rolling around under its own power soon. When are you thinking youll finish it?
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Looks good! stoked for you to finally be getting this going. Hope to see it rolling around under its own power soon. When are you thinking youll finish it?
              Thanks man! I am not sure on timeframe. I'm sure I'll get the car up and running pretty quickly from this point, but things like exhaust, cruise, AC, etc will hold me up. I also realized I trashed my old oil cooler which I now need again. I'm contemplating ditching AC and cruise for a little while and finishing that stuff up later.

1) FCP order came in so I took inventory. Forgot to order belts

2) I bought tires today for my filled/drilled style 5s! Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 215/45r16. I didn't want to go 225/45 because they'll likely rub pretty bad, so this 215 should be perfect on the E38 Style 5s. Running a 10mm spacer up front and 15mm rear.

3) I received the last piece I needed to get the front suspension buttoned up today. The IE Swaybar Bracket Kit-thing makes swaybar installs 100x easier, and beefens things up a bit. Glad to to have it all tightened and on the ground. Just for kicks, I also threw the above spacers on a set of iX weaves I have lying around until I get the style 5s on. I was quite pleased with the way things look on a 15" weave.

4) I'm dropping the cylinder head off tomorrow morning to get freshened up, which means I had some work to do. I spoke with the gentleman doing the machine work today and he encouraged getting fresh rockers, so I ordered some Febi units. He'll be putting in new guide seals, resurfacing, pressure testing, etc. This motor is in great shape.

I'm also sending the throttle body out to Riot Racing for a bore, and will be deleting the TB heater and simplifying/tapping the vacuum routing to utilize NPT fittings. The 90* check valve normally used for this became NLA recently, but going through my boxes of parts, I found the one I ordered two years ago when I bought the car, score.

That's all for now, stay tuned!

Comment

And where's the Insta-pot going? Passenger seat?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                  And where's the Insta-pot going? Passenger seat?
                  That's the real "heart" of this build. She deserves at least an honorable mention- I'll be mounting it in the engine bay on the battery tray behind the passenger strut tower to ensure that my motor stays hot and fresh.

Comment

Are you 5 luck swapping? Or do you have filled and drilled style 5s?
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Are you 5 luck swapping? Or do you have filled and drilled style 5s?
                      Filled n' Drilled! Running a 10mm spacer up front and 15mm rear for brake clearance (front) and fitment (rear). Got the stuff from Motorsport hardware.

Comment

Very rewarding day today. The tire shop mounted and balanced all four wheels for $20 because they didn't want the liability of the fill/drill. They all balanced out perfectly which I was very excited about.

Comment

Very rewarding day today. The tire shop mounted and balanced all four wheels for $20 because they didn't want the liability of the fill/drill. They all balanced out perfectly which I was very excited about.

Nice choice! I went with Fill and Drill E38 Style 5 as well. Mine balanced out great although I am running 225/45r16 with no spacers currently.

I may space mine out a bit in the rear.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

fitment looks freakin perfect.
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

+1 Fitment looks spot-on.

I'm feeling the momentum building...

MJ

Comment

I've been awaiting for you to mount these wheels for agessssss. They look awesome! Mine also balanced out pretty good, but I get a slight vibration around 70-75 mph and it gets worse the faster I go. I heard if it was a balance issue i'd be getting that vibration around 55. Hopefully your's ride a bit better!

Comment

Working...
                                X