1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really nice work!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Think I’m gonna try those Polks in my vert and IX for rear speakers..

If you have the premium sound package with tweeters in front you prob don’t need the coaxials... folks canupgrade the kick panel speakers with an OEM 5 series speaker that comes with larger magnets.. still available from BMW
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        Think I’m gonna try those Polks in my vert and IX for rear speakers..

If you have the premium sound package with tweeters in front you prob don’t need the coaxials... folks canupgrade the kick panel speakers with an OEM 5 series speaker that comes with larger magnets.. still available from BMW
        Yea I bought 2 sets before I looked at the 5 speakers. My front premium tweeters were shot so I reused the OE tweeter sail and put the Polk inside it so it still looks like it’s stock.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Old tank and exhaust out to the recyclers. I thought about selling the exhaust, but for how cheap it is it wasnt worth my effort.

Here she will sit for the winter, really need to build that second garage.

Noah custom fit car cover, supposed to breath so that the moisture doesn't stay in there.

Comment

BTW I want to repaint the original black coating that was on the car before the PO painted it over in some kind of white that didnt match the car.

Two questions. What should I use to sand down the paint that he put on, and what coating should I use to make it look OEM again.

Its a short term solution until I can get the whole car repainted and the MTech II kit painted and put on.

Comment

SEM Trim paint! hahaha
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

exactly

you talking about the rockers right?
                Are you keeping the rock guard coating? Wurth, 3M or Permatex make spray for that.

Use SEM 39043 Trim Black for color.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                  exactly

you talking about the rockers right?
                  Are you keeping the rock guard coating? Wurth, 3M or Permatex make spray for that.

Use SEM 39043 Trim Black for color.
                  So the PO sprayed over the rock guard coating with some random white paint. If I try to remove that white will that end up removing the rock guard, or can I lightly sand and just paint over what they did?

I am the worst at painting!

Comment

you can sand it off but the rubber coating will be a PITA. you can reapply the coating and paint.

or just clean and paint over the white :-)

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I would second a good cleaning and then a repaint.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                        I would second a good cleaning and then a repaint.
                        Sounds much easier to me! What should I clean with?

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          Sounds much easier to me! What should I clean with?
                          Use some sort of automotive paint prep solvent (wax/grease remover) with heavy towels to remove anything on the surface. For example I used this on my last engine bay project:

You want to use a prep solvent that does not leave a residue. Once cleaned, scuff with a scotchbrite pad, repeat the cleaning step, tape and shoot.

The rockers can take a beating from road debris so it is a good area to shoot with a 2K automotive urethane paint. I am planning to use this product on my car:

Hot Rod Black Satin is a high quality professional 2K component auto paint with smooth flow and leveling. Delivers greater scratch resistance and durability. Satin-finish black 2K aerosol.

You might be able to find a local paint shop that sells the SprayMax 2k product line.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                            Use some sort of automotive paint prep solvent (wax/grease remover) with heavy towels to remove anything on the surface. For example I used this on my last engine bay project:

You want to use a prep solvent that does not leave a residue. Once cleaned, scuff with a scotchbrite pad, repeat the cleaning step, tape and shoot.

The rockers can take a beating from road debris so it is a good area to shoot with a 2K automotive urethane paint. I am planning to use this product on my car:

Hot Rod Black Satin is a high quality professional 2K component auto paint with smooth flow and leveling. Delivers greater scratch resistance and durability. Satin-finish black 2K aerosol.

You might be able to find a local paint shop that sells the SprayMax 2k product line.

MJ
                            Thanks! I will look into that. Its only temporary and will get covered up by the Mtech II just depends If I have the money for a full repaint this year.

Comment

Just skimmed through this entire thread last night. Great job on this build so far! I really like the interior.

I can't believe all the headaches you had with the wiring. Did the previous owner's stereo actually sound good? Also wondering how you like the alarm system? I'm thinking about adding an alarm to mine.
                              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                                Just skimmed through this entire thread last night. Great job on this build so far! I really like the interior.

I can't believe all the headaches you had with the wiring. Did the previous owner's stereo actually sound good? Also wondering how you like the alarm system? I'm thinking about adding an alarm to mine.

Thanks!

I have no idea lol! He left the head unit and the speakers, but there were no amps in the car so I never actually heard the system. I cant imagine it did, it may have been loud but the way he had the speakers mounted in the door it probably didnt sound great.

As for the alarm, I like it, mostly because it was super cheap, the keyfob looks pretty nice and it unlocks and locks the doors. Its not fancy, I just wanted something that could remotely unlock the doors. The car wont be a daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X