No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is looking great! I give you credit for taking such a nice example back out on the track. Though it's not often I see track videos with snow just off the apex!

Comment

Originally posted by ndelage View Post
      Car is looking great! I give you credit for taking such a nice example back out on the track. Though it's not often I see track videos with snow just off the apex!
      Thanks! They're meant to be driven, right? :D . I plan to take it out to the track a few more times this year as time permits. These short-run autocross events and HPDEs are pretty safe and controlled environments if you drive within your limits.

The track conditions at the last event were certainly far from ideal (frozen track and snow on some of the apexes). I didn't push the car very hard and gave myself plenty of room in the braking zones. Coming from a series of high horsepower AWD cars, driving this low power RWD was a fun and new experience. I'm hooked. ;D

Comment

Some photos from the autocross a few weeks ago:

Comment

That is one good lookin’ e30!

I have the same tires, How did they handle on the track?

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
          2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
          2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
          1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
          2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

Originally posted by pcrbmw View Post
            That is one good lookin’ e30!

I have the same tires, How did they handle on the track?
            Thanks! They're definitely not track or autocross tires by any means. The track was below freezing so it's hard to say how well they'd perform/grip in warmer weather. The sidewalls are soft so I inflated them all to 40psi which seemed to help with rollover and responsiveness. They made it through the day without chunking up or causing other issues which is all I was asking from the tires at the time. ;)

If I start going more events in the E30 I'll pick up another set of wheels and mount a respectable track/autocross tire.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              If I start going more events in the E30 I'll pick up another set of wheels and mount a respectable track/autocross tire.
              I like the sound of where this is heading!

Great shots Mike!
              1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
              1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
              September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
              Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                I like the sound of where this is heading!

Great shots Mike!
                Haha, thanks! Credit goes to Mach V Motorsports for those photos!

Not E30 related, but I took my wagon to the last track event due to the weather. Lots of fun! Big thanks and photo credit to Mach V Motorsports (again) and Alex McKenzie!

And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5SbMQtrF8g

Comment

such awesome progress. Car looks fantastic. Also my brother has a wagon exactly like yours his is a 330i. Don't know if you have something different, sorry if I skipped over the wagons info but they are pretty fun to drive too. I like the e30 better however haha
                  1992 325i Convertible - "project"
                  1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Nice F31. I'm considering the same as our next family car.
                    1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                    SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                    Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
                      such awesome progress. Car looks fantastic. Also my brother has a wagon exactly like yours his is a 330i. Don't know if you have something different, sorry if I skipped over the wagons info but they are pretty fun to drive too. I like the e30 better however haha
                      Thanks! My wagon is a '15 328xi, which is the same chassis code (F31) as the 330, so they look the same. I also like the E30 better. ;)

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                      Nice F31. I'm considering the same as our next family car.
                      The F31 has been great for a family of 4 (forward and rear facing car seats in the back). The ZF8 transmission is quite good, but I'd still prefer a manual, which is not available in the US for the 3 series wagons. I do wish there was a little more cargo room, similar to a Volvo V70, but I put an 8' cargo box up top for overnight road trips.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                        Thanks! My wagon is a '15 328xi, which is the same chassis code (F31) as the 330, so they look the same. I also like the E30 better. ;)

The F31 has been great for a family of 4 (forward and rear facing car seats in the back). The ZF8 transmission is quite good, but I'd still prefer a manual, which is not available in the US for the 3 series wagons. I do wish there was a little more cargo room, similar to a Volvo V70, but I put an 8' cargo box up top for overnight road trips.

I don't understand the difference between the 328 and 330 though. My buddy has a 328 with a JB4 and it's quicker than my brothers wagon

His looks exactly the same except he powder coated his wheels back and put back grills in the front. Really made it look nice
                        1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
                          I don't understand the difference between the 328 and 330 though. My buddy has a 328 with a JB4 and it's quicker than my brothers wagon

His looks exactly the same except he powder coated his wheels back and put back grills in the front. Really made it look nice
                          BMW changed the designation from 328 to 330 in 2017 because they changed the engine. Similar to how the 335i became the 340i. Same chassis though.

Comment

Just noticed your grill is black too lol. BMW changes things way too many times these days..
                            1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Sub'd really fell in love with the look of your car. So much that I purchased stock weaves to replace my 16" style 5's. There is almost nothing I'd change on this car. By any chance did anyone ever tell you what they soak the dash in? I know someone mentioned 303 but wanted to know what you ended up doing

Comment

I can attest that 303 is indeed really good stuff! PS this thread and that wagon are FIRE!!!!!!
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                                IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Working...
                                X