Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30M30 Swap Starting Issues

Hi there everyone,

Two days ago I went ahead and tried starting my E30M30 swap. I had everything wired up, so I walked over to the trunk, hooked up the battery, and the motor started cranking. There were no keys in the ignition, but the motor was turning over. I went ahead and let it keep cranking for a bit, just because I wanted to see if it would start up. After about 20 seconds I unhooked the battery without the motor ever fully starting up. It was late at night, so I just called it a day. The next morning, I started troubleshooting. I disconnected the cable from the battery to the starter (the large black wire) and went to start the car again (I wanted to see if solenoid was working and if ignition wiring was ok). With the key in the second position, the gauges and lights on the dashboard came on. When I turned the key all the way, there was nothing. No clicking from the solenoid at all. Next, I hooked up a motorcycle battery directly to the ignition wire terminal on the solenoid. Again, nothing. I'm starting to worry that my wiring may have been messed up when I initially tried to start the car, and the solenoid may have been getting power directly from the battery, bypassing the ignition switch altogether. Could I have fried my starter solenoid? Or does anyone have any other idea

Thanks so much,
    Andrew

Good lord. Wiring is the worst part of these gigs. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to help you. But good luck. Pulling for you.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

hahaha yes the wiring is a pain. I'm just going to pull out the starter and check it out to see if anythings messed up
      thanks for the support though

Comment

Any Vatozone will test it for free.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

this is a m30b35 or b34 and what wire harness did you use? the one from an M20 or from the M30? Did you repin the c101 if you used the M30 harness?

The Build:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

It's an m30b35 and I'm using the m20b25 harness that I already had from my 1987 E30 325is. My harness may be motronic 1.1, but the ecu I have is from a e34 535i. Not sure how critical of a difference there is in 1.1 harnesses and 1.3.

Comment

Does anyone else have any ideas before I go ahead and pull the starter out? It's a pain to get it out so I'd just like to hear if anyone else has had a similar issue before

Comment

If you hooked up the battery and it cranked then your wiring is wrong. I would think you burned a fuse or fried a relay. Disconnect the wires to the starter and test each component separately with direct power. The starter should spin freely if the solenoid isn't engaged and then when you energize the solenoid it should just click.

Comment

Working...
                X