Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M30 Swap: No Spark & No Fuel

Hi again everyone,

I am slowly but surely making progress on my E30 M30 swap, but have hit another road block and need some help. I had a bad starter motor beforehand and when I threw in a new one I was able to get the motor to crank, but had no fuel or spark (Gauges, headlights, windshield wipers, etc. are all working)

The first thing I did was pull out a plug wire and attach a spark plug to it-- no spark. Next I checked the cap and rotor (which are brand new) to see if I had installed them incorrectly-- everything seemed to be ok.

Next, I checked the plug-wire wiring: everything seemed to be in the right position.

I moved back to the coil and used a voltmeter to test it (It was working perfectly fine when I had the M20B25 in the car about 6 months ago, so I highly doubt it broke in this time-period). The readings on the voltmeter generally lined up with what I read they were supposed to be.

At this point, I decided to do some more research. I read on one forum that if the CPS wire and the distributor wire were mismatched to the sensors, the ECU wouldn't send fuel or spark. I excitedly switched the wiring and had the same result as before. I switched them back and forth a couple times to account for human error , but still no change. I then went ahead and cleaned the CPS-- still no luck. I looked around with wiring to see if there was anything that looked "shady". Everything looked good to me, but I can't be sure.

So, for the past couple days I've played around with different possibilities of solving the issue. I switched back to the M20 ecu, and then reconnected the M30 ecu (#179). I'm starting to run out of ideas. I looked at the DME Relay, but to be honest electronics is a weak-point in my knowledge and nothing looked blatantly out of place.

There's also the possibility that I have a bad ECU. I bought it on ebay, so it could be a junker. I have no idea how to check if my ECU is good or not, so I may just buy another. I believe the ECU is grounded as it is bolted into its brackets. Most of the wires in the glovebox are hooked up, but there were one or two connectors that I couldn't find a spot for. But everything I could plug in, I plugged in.

I can post pictures of anything that would be helpful in solving this issue. I feel that I'm really close, so any help is appreciated. Could be something very simple.

NOTE: My E30 is a 1987 325is. I am using the harness that came with the M20B25 in it. I have read that the best models for using an M20 harness is 1988-1992, and obviously my harness is from a model outside of this range. Does this mean I'm missing something with wiring at the C101? All I have done so far is hook up the harness to all the sensors and then plugged in the ECU. I am also considering buying a new harness from a post-1988 E30 325i, so maybe that could solve my issue. Also, my gas is a couple months old, and my tank may be empty. I'm going to run down to a local gas station and fill my tank back up to see if that changes anything.

I have looked over the Jaredsquires instructions, and also purchased the Macalent Swap guide, but they haven't been to helpful on the wiring aspect of the swap.

I'm sorry for the long, rambling list, but there are so many possibilities! I've tried everything I can think of, so hopefully some of the veterans can help me out!

Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by AndrewGood; 03-05-2015, 11:01 AM.

One other note I forgot to mention:

Currently, the car's TPS isn't hooked up. The harness I am using has no connection for the TPS, and unfortunately I can't tell whether the harness had a connection before and it's been ripped off somehow, or if the harness never had a TPS connection in the first place. I grabbed another TPS at pick-n-pull, and also pulled out the connector from an M30 harness. I might need to wire the TPS connection direclty to the ECU, so any help there is also appreciated.

Lastly, I have read on a couple forums that "...only two wires needed to be re-wired for the swap...". I have done zero wiring so far besides simply hooking the harness up, so maybe I need to do this small bit of wiring to finish off the swap.

Thanks again!

Comment

Bump

Comment

First question, do you have the e30 and e34 Bentley manuals? If not you should acquire them. Have you confirmed that the DME is getting power?
        $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

Which m30 are you using? Don't keep getting m20 harness just get the correct m30 harness life will be easier. Are your relays wired up and correct? Is your fuel pump engaging? Have you checked for fuel pressure? With out a tps the car won't start so that's atleast one of your problems

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

No, I don't have the Bentley manuals yet-- would probably be a wise purchase!!

I have a M30B35 out of an E34 (I think a 1992) believe the relays are wired up correctly, as I never tampered with them during the swap. they've been untouched since the car was running with the M20. I don't think the fuel pump is engaging; I haven't checked for fuel pressure yet, but will check tomorrow morning. How do I check if the DME is getting power?

Comment

seems simple but have you made sure the harness and engine have proper grounds, easy way to tell is if the ICV buzzes with key switched, or just check for continuity.
              '86 Delphin 335i turbo -
              '88 Schwarz 325i -
              '94 w124 e420 -
              Turbo m30b35 Build Thread

Comment

Sounds like you could definitely have a faulty CPS, one of my dad's 325i's wouldn't start because of that. The ecu only allows fuel/spark if it gets a correct signal from the cps, I think the bentley manual has a resistance check for the sensor or something.
                Originally posted by Japandrew73
                I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it
                '92 335ic Alpinweiss II/Indigo
                '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewGood View Post
                  How do I check if the DME is getting power?

Read jlevie's post. He's an e30 Yoda.

Also, keep this pic for troubleshooting/standalone ECU installation.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by EatsHondas; 04-03-2015, 02:51 AM.
                  1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
                  5-Speed Swapped
                  M30B35 Swapped
                  MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
                  260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Working...
                  X