2jzgte swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2jzgte swap

So we pulled an all nighter last night and ripped out the old m20 turbo, resealed the 2jz, swapped nec parts for an r154 and installed it all into the e30.
    Firt off, its pretty much like fitting 10lbs into a 5lb bag!

I used K conversions mounts and I have to say, not impressed for the price.
    For one, they had them labelled incorrectly and having never done this swap before, it made us scratch our heads at 4 am. (Not fun!)

Either way, its in and the motor is sitting on the mounts. I cant say the same for the trans mount. I doesnt line up with the proper mounting holes, so it looks like I'm going to have to fab something up.

Second thing, brake booster, ugh. I dont even want to know how to tackle this right now as I purchased Massive Lees booster delete kit.

Pain in the ass to install, decided to leave it till after the engine is in and see if its even doable.

Turns out its not even gonna be close (dont quote me, I'm running on 2 hours of sleep in the past 48).

So here I am searching for a fix for this.
    Yes I was prepared to go with manual brakes, so anything is fair game.
    I will post some pictures of the swap and the room for the booster soon.

I'm just glad to say I own a TT DOHC swapped e30! :redspot

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
    function>form

Why not do a remote brake booster like the V8 e30's?

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I demand pictures!

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

looking into the remote booster setup but its a big honkin setup lol
        has anyone run an overhung tilton setup?

function>form

Comment

Pics?! I think there are 3 types of R154 and the trans mount is for 1 of them, not for all 3... So you would need to fabricate!

Did they do the wiring also?

Comment

I have the proper trans as per their forum post
            No they do no wiring unless you buy the complete swap

function>form

Comment

im going in the same direction as you too bad i read this post too late, because i ordered my ks racing mounts already they should be here by friday i also ordered some intercooler piping still trying to locate a motor with tranny i could go with the 1jz but if im going to do it i guess ill do it big..where did you get ur motor and r154 tranny from, im always finding the automatic...and post some pics whenever you get a chance this will be my guide.
              :(:neutral::-?:):D

Comment

I was going to buy the mounts also, Now I dont know... Lol

Comment

I ordered the engine from jdmsource in Calgary, Alberta Canada
                  Awesome guys to deal with
                  Best price also only 1750 Canadian with harness, ecu, igniter and auto trans

I sourced the r154 locally
                  I also bought a crap ton of parts from driftmotion

Don't get me wrong about the mounts
                  They work fine
                  Just that I may have to modify the trans mount
                  I still have to try pushing the motor back a bit
                  I think I have another inch I could gain

Might have to use the massive boosterless setup as well as move the holes a half inch over
                  Still looking at my options there
                  Also the throttle body will be tight to the rad
                  Looking for a fix for that aswell
                  I'll try and snap some pictures

function>form

Comment

2jzgte is over 500 lbs, much heavier than our stock motors so I'm just making sure you didn't forget to reinforce the sub-frame. there are some build threads on e30tech that might help you find a good solutions for brake boosting. I was going to put one in a e30, already have motor, but decided to build it and put it in my e34 later on this year and from what I found for e30s the best thing to do is just move it over and switch to a larger one while you're at it. I s14 240sx brake booster will clear the intake btw if your not up for a strange pedal assembly setup.
                    UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 24v 325e (future DD), DD 525i

stripped out e30 rally project - in progress
                    M50NV -> M50TU E34 swap underway

Comment

nope, havent reinforced the subframe at all. This isnt going to be a race car lol, more of a cruiser with a bit more power than stock.
                      as for the brakes, I have taken some more measurements and it just might fit with the massive kit and redrilling the holes over more.

Also have to figure out the drive shaft issue and shifter hole setup.

function>form

Comment

For the driveshaft, you just have to get a r154 one and have your stock one fitted together. I'd personally have a longshaft made out of two, shouldn't cost you much if anymore to have that done.

Seriously look into reinforced mounting plates before you put that in. Turner Motorsports and a few others sell some plates that just get welded in, doesn't matter if you track it or not those mounting positions are off to the side of the crossmember and not above it like a lot of other cars. You would do the same thing with an s5x/m5x swap as well just b/c of the weight difference they have to hold - that's why.
                        UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 24v 325e (future DD), DD 525i

stripped out e30 rally project - in progress
                        M50NV -> M50TU E34 swap underway

Comment

There is some fantastic information in this thread!

Any pictures dmoney(AB)?
                          ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I have both driveshafts, just have to find time and a place to get it done.
                            Also looking into the subframe reinforcements. Can these be put in with the engine in?

heres a couple pictures.

sitting all the way forward on the mounts:

master cylinder issue:

let me know what you guys think.
                            I've also been looking into the c101 pinout to feed the ecu the necessary inputs but have come up a bit short. any help there?
                            this is what I've come up with.

edit: I've also decided to make this chassis the test mule for this swap. When I was doing this swap I found alot of rust that would cost to much to repair. So don't be afraid if I chop up some panels and what not. I'm looking into making a removable rad support to make engine removal and installation way faster. (In case of big single swap :P ) I would love to source an early model convertible as this is a summer car only with no a/c.
                            Enjoy my journey! Please leave comments!
                            Last edited by dmoney(AB); 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM.

function>form

Comment

very nice a couple questions: what radiator did you get? and i was at a local shop yesterday and they were in the process of also swapping in a 2jz into there e30 i was asking them about the brake booster and they said if you get a custom intake manifold like the ones on ebay it should clear it...and im loving the pics, do you have anymore of the mounts?
                              :(:neutral::-?:):D

Comment

Working...
                              X